Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Drive Cams. Help Me Understand this!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 AM
99dyna
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Drive Cams. Help Me Understand this!!

Lookin at going gear drive instead of the upgraded hydraulic tensioner plate. So they say your crank runout needs to be under.007 or something like that. On my bike if its within those specs and I install a gear drive kit,What happens down the road if or when the crank runout increases,what happens then???? Do they get real loud or something worse??? Its a 99 dyna by the way

Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 99dyna
Lookin at going gear drive instead of the upgraded hydraulic tensioner plate. So they say your crank runout needs to be under.007 or something like that. On my bike if its within those specs and I install a gear drive kit,What happens down the road if or when the crank runout increases,what happens then???? Do they get real loud or something worse??? Its a 99 dyna by the way
At .007" you are facing a crank teardown for truing/welding. Try .003" or less. Actually, .002" or less would be better. Why go with gear drive? The industry s shifting away from those and you will see fewer and fewer cams available in gear drive. Plus, it is expensive and you are going to have to deal with pressing on and off multiple under and over size gears before you get the backlash set up right. And, unless your crank is welded, you very well many be facing an increasing run-out as time goes on.

I spoke at length with several major builders and Bobby Woods when I went through this decision process and they all recommended sticking with hydraulic tensioners.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99dyna
your gears wear with everything else , so by the time you have more run out your gears have more play . all harley cams were gear driven before the twin cam ( not sure about vrod ) this is not new technology or black magic its just a very simple engine