Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how would you remove a broken exhaust stud (bolt) from jug?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

i would throw the stock exhaust on it and take it to the dealer and have em fix it...

Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
slider1156
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 07bobber
i would throw the stock exhaust on it and take it to the dealer and have em fix it...
I would do the same thing, tell them it broke when you were riding and get out the trailer and make them fix it. Dealers make enough money off us. I had the same problem out of warranty. I used heat, a stud puller, welded a nut on it, beat the **** out of it, Left handed drill bits, you name it. I finally eneded up removing the head. It finally came out in chunks no thread sert. It sucks. Those studs s/b stainless steel but they are crap.

Last edited by slider1156; 05-10-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have owned all kinds of harleys from iron heads to shovel heads to pan heads to evos and now a twin cam ( oh forgot flathead ) , granted only the shovel and evos and evo sportys have exhaust studs but the twin cam studs seem to be made out of junk . i have seen a year old twin cam with so much rust on stud the nut would not come loose and the entire stud came out . id try to get dealer to replace stud if you can , that jims tool is 60 bucks i believe so it not real cost affective but id does take the skill out of removing broken studs

Old 05-10-2012, 01:18 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Let's see...YOU replaced your own exhaust, but asked the DEALER to check the torque on the bolts? Then "fiddled around, tightening things", afterward? And are blaming the DEALER for stripping the threads? Wow!

If you don't have a torque wrench, you shouldn't have even gone near it, in the first place. Now, have a professional fix what you F'd up, or you could be looking at a much more serious and expensive repair.
why do you have to be so negative ?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree; it looks pretty negative alongside posts telling you to cheat/trick your dealer into repairing it. Among the negativity you'll find the best advice you've received, so far--have a pro fix it.

OP ham-handedly put enough pressure on that stud to snap it off flush, rather than soaking it, overnight, in Aerokroil and then using heat and an impact driver to try getting it out in one piece. A pro would have known better. A pro is already equipped w/ the tools and know-how to remove the broken stud w/ the least chance of damaging the head, while you are not. And you could make it so much worse that even a pro couldn't salvage it.

Last edited by lo-rider; 05-10-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are trying to remove an exhaust stud from a jug I'd have to worry what happened to your cylinder heads.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master

Originally Posted by lo-rider
I agree; it looks pretty negative alongside posts telling you to cheat/trick your dealer into repairing it. Among the negativity you'll find the best advice you've received, so far--have a pro fix it.

OP ham-handedly put enough pressure on that stud to snap it off flush, rather than soaking it, overnight, in Aerokroil and then using heat and an impact driver to try getting it out in one piece. A pro would have known better. A pro is already equipped w/ the tools and know-how to remove the broken stud w/ the least chance of damaging the head, while you are not. And you could make it so much worse that even a pro couldn't salvage it.
how do you know what kroil is ? i thought that was a industry secret , thats the best stuff on the market for rusted stuck bolts and nuts . i prefer the loosen 1/2 turn then turn 1/4 turn back in to clean threads method . i think most people dont realize they are putting stud in a bind by not keeping wrench or ratchet and socket straight