Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that's harsh.

I shared all my information with you willingly, asking nothing in return.
Didn't intend for it to sound harsh...I didn't realize the intimidators were that complicated, I thought it was something you could just explain. I would never want you to go through anything more intense then that.

With your racing background, I was intrigued to the mods you did and thought you might be able to go into a more detailed explaination. Basically the only info you gave out is what you did to your bike which is cool but not a whole lot to go on.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:39 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

[QUOTE would argue that without the single rate spring you're not getting the most out of the ricors. I rode on stock springs for a month before changing to the traxxion springs and the difference was very noticeable. If you never go to a single rate spring...ignorance is bliss. I was pleased with how my bike rode using the stock spring but the front end feels much better and I have a better sense of what's going on with the front tire after changing.][/quote]

I'm still thinking about doing that also, just trying to get as much information as I can so I can cut back on how many times I have to take the forks apart.

Have you ever checked your sag to see how you came out on the amount of spacer cut?

I forgot...how much did you end up cutting off?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
Didn't intend for it to sound harsh...I didn't realize the intimidators were that complicated, I thought it was something you could just explain. I would never want you to go through anything more intense then that.

With your racing background, I was intrigued to the mods you did and thought you might be able to go into a more detailed explaination. Basically the only info you gave out is what you did to your bike which is cool but not a whole lot to go on.
Intiminators aren't that complicated, in fact they're not complicated at all.
I just didn't feel like taking mine out to measure for a drawing.
the problem with MY fork action was too much high speed compression damping. This makes the front slam you with a hit on sharp bumps like potholes or poor road surface repairs. this is what I wanted to fix, and I did so partly by modifying the shim stack and partly by changing the oil viscosity to give a softer overall damping rate. I am satisfied with the stock springs once the sag is adjusted. Straight rate springs are better, but with these rather crude forks and wheels that weigh more than a DeSoto (ridiculous amounts of unsprung weight) there's only so much improvement that is reasonable to do.
The best mod you could do to a Harley (or any bike) is a set of really light weight wheels. Light wheels make a bike do everything better. Ride better. Change directions quicker without having to change steering geometry. Accelerate and stop better. The difference is amazing.
Forget that blooey pipe or cams, that's just BS. If you really want to improve your ride, invest in light weight wheels.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Rooti I think I ended up with a 7" spacer. I used PVC instead of cutting the stock spacer.

Dave I completely agree with your comment about lighter wheels. My previous bike, CBR 1000RR, had full Ohlins suspension and PM wheels and I was running the stock exhaust.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Brian did send me a sketch on the intimidators. I tried to post it here but I can't get it to work. If anybody is interested PM me with your e-mail and I'll forward it to you.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 PM
jpicht
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sketch

Sorry, meant to PM.

Last edited by jpicht; 04-11-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: meant to PM
Old 09-17-2013, 04:45 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So I just ordered the single rate Traxxion springs, and Dan called me to say he had no data on 2013 FXDBs and it would need to be a custom order. Before I follow through, I was hoping someone subscribed to this thread has a part number for the 49mm traxxion spring for 2010 and newer Street Bobs. If I can give Dan that, he should be able to figure out exactly what I need.

Also PM'd Ryderbiker to find out what he finally ended up with, but understand he traded his Dyna.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 341 Likes on 177 Posts

I have the Riccor Intimator and really like them. I am running stock Harley oil in them and it's much better than stock. This all sounds a little too technical for me, can you simplify this for an old carpenter.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SquidHead
So I just ordered the single rate Traxxion springs, and Dan called me to say he had no data on 2013 FXDBs and it would need to be a custom order. Before I follow through, I was hoping someone subscribed to this thread has a part number for the 49mm traxxion spring for 2010 and newer Street Bobs. If I can give Dan that, he should be able to figure out exactly what I need.

Also PM'd Ryderbiker to find out what he finally ended up with, but understand he traded his Dyna.

Thanks.
I doubt the MoCo made any changes to the fxdb front end. Easiest thing is to use ronnie's parts finder and compare part numbers between a 2010, 2011,2013. if all parts numbers are the same, then they should be able to supply you with correct length spring.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:38 AM
fat bastard 68
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Traxxion springs

Originally Posted by SquidHead

Thanks.
The part number is 44x380x1.0. This is for the the heaviest spring setting he could have made them custom for a bit more.You'd probably need to get the 44x380x0.9?
Ryderbiker helped me when I was buying mine from Dan I actually did it over the phone they were able to look it up in their records.If you need anymore info just let me know.

Quick Reply: Front suspension upgrade