Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Amataga_Savage
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ryder and fabrik8ter, you guys are awesome for all of the info shared between your two threads! i was so lonst untill i found these. hats of to ya both.

any updates as to modding those intimidators and getting them back in?

fabrik8ter, seing as though, ryder is using such a stiff spring and had to cut away so much of the preload spacer, if he was to use one of those spring press' and use a larger spacer, would you still see the need for the mod? or would there still eb a benifit to running that amount of preload with the mod to compensate for it?

I am looking to pretty much go with the same exact setup here, works black trackers, intimidators(possibly modded) but since i weigh about 190, the recommended spring rate is .934 based on the RT calculator... any thoughts or advice?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Amataga_Savage
@ryder and fabrik8ter, you guys are awesome for all of the info shared between your two threads! i was so lonst untill i found these. hats of to ya both.

any updates as to modding those intimidators and getting them back in?

fabrik8ter, seing as though, ryder is using such a stiff spring and had to cut away so much of the preload spacer, if he was to use one of those spring press' and use a larger spacer, would you still see the need for the mod? or would there still eb a benifit to running that amount of preload with the mod to compensate for it?

I am looking to pretty much go with the same exact setup here, works black trackers, intimidators(possibly modded) but since i weigh about 190, the recommended spring rate is .934 based on the RT calculator... any thoughts or advice?
So far I have not modified a set of 49mm valves, but I am inclined to believ it will work very similar to the 41mm valves. Ryder's project is a work in progress and I'm not sure where he is with it right now so I can't really comment. The amount of preload is dependant upon what is required to achieve a specific sag, you adjust the spacer length to get to the sag you want, I prefer 1/3 total stroke for a cruiser. With modded valves I would recommend to go with .90kgs, but I don't know what will work better with your set up. The 49mm dyna forks function a bit differently with less displacement and I have not tweaked them yet so I probably don't have any significant usefull input. feel free to PM me if you want to engage it further.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 AM
fat bastard 68
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Traxxions springs in stock!

I just got off the phone with Dan at Traxxion springs and with a little help from Ryderbiker (by looking up his invoice Thanks Ryderbiker!) I was able to get the springs. He has 4 more sets on the shelf !
I'm getting the 1.0 but he did mention that he could make a custom heavier rate up to 1.2 for an extra 20 bucks.
They were aware of the mistake when Ryderbiker first ordered his, so its highly unlikely that that mistake could be made again.
Right I'm gonna see if I can get those fork preload adjusters from Speed Merchant.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I was curious what happened. Glad it worked out.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Advanced

Ok here's the setup I settled on (not Ohlins by any stretch, but good enough for a cruiser)
Ricor intiminators with the "soft" dyna shim stack, but with one washer removed (second from the bottom) to further soften the slow speed compression rate, 5 wt oil set 110mm from the top to further soften the compression spike while controlling brake dive, and stock springs (they're fine) with .750" cut off the preload spacer to set the sag correctly. You should have 30-33% of the travel in sag. I weigh 175+gear, your correct spacer length may be different.
Now it is wallow free but reasonably plush on SoCal's super bumpy roads, with acceptable brake dive .

Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dave,

Since I have never taken apart a intimidator could you please explain how to change to the "soft stack" I have the washers but have no idea what to do with them. I don't even know where the washers go.

Also I'm surprised that you got the correct sag just cutting off 3/4". I've done 2 installs with one guy weighing 170 and me weighing 180 and it could actually use a little more sag, I actually think I would have been closer at a 1" cutoff.

Thanks

Last edited by rooti; 04-09-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Advanced

Rooti, the washers are very easy to change, but as for explaining where they go (and in what order) you should email Ricor for a drawing.
I ALWAYS wear full race weight leathers (Vanson) with all the armor (and knee sliders), full face helmet, Sidi GP pro or Heald Galaxy gloves, and Alpinestars road race boots no matter which one of my (8) bikes I'm riding, and carry a backpack with a tire patch kit, first aid, and "stuff" in it, so I probably weigh 200+ in gear.
I'm an old racer, and like most old racers I learned first hand about "ALL the gear, ALL the time". I don't really fit in with the Harley crowd (ya think?) even though I own two of them.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I kinda figured you wouldn't want to help...Thanks anyways

Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Advanced

Wow, that's harsh.

I shared all my information with you willingly, asking nothing in return.

To make you a drawing of the parts I would have to take my forks back apart and create the individual parts in Solidworks, drop them into an assembly and then create an assembly drawing with annotations to make it understandable, and finally save it as a PDF so you can open it. (creating parts is what I do for a living, I'm an engineer)
That seems like a lot more work than you emailing Ricor for a drawing file (PDF) that they already have.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I would argue that without the single rate spring you're not getting the most out of the ricors. I rode on stock springs for a month before changing to the traxxion springs and the difference was very noticeable. If you never go to a single rate spring...ignorance is bliss. I was pleased with how my bike rode using the stock spring but the front end feels much better and I have a better sense of what's going on with the front tire after changing.

Quick Reply: Front suspension upgrade