Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ceramic coating on used exhaust - Thunderheader

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Kings Powder Coatings is where the pipe was sent.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:50 PM
mnchopper98
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try stove bright. Its high temp stove painet. I have seen it used to paint a chrome TH to make it look black. It was scuffed first. I think it was satin black. It looked good, but needed to be painted on in thin coats. It is supposed to be durable.

Attached Thumbnails New ceramic coating on used exhaust - Thunderheader-satin-20black-20stove-20bright-20paint.jpg  

Last edited by mnchopper98; 09-07-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 831 Likes on 376 Posts

The ceramic coating is worth the cost. First they coat it inside and out which you aren't going to do with a rattle can. The finish is much much tougher than paint. It takes quite a effort to scuff or damage it and if you do you can polish it back out in most cases. The look, especially of the silver luster coating is sweet, even once it cures it turns to a almost cast alum finish. Temp reductions are the best part. On my old bikes with ceramic pipes they were bare hand touchable after any type of a ride in under 30mins. Now sure you don't always go around grabbing your exhaust when you get somewhere, but sitting at stop lights it's not radiating onto your leg. Oh yeah there's a horsepower bonus too with improved scavenging but thats just a bonus. Jet-Hot is the biggest name, and yeah they're gonna be spendy. Call a local chromer/powdercoater/hot rod shop/off road shop and get some recommendations. Those dudes know where to get it done.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:04 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 831 Likes on 376 Posts

these pipes are ceramic coated. not the craziest exhaust ever, but both of those pipes were uncomfortably close to body parts when riding and at stops. used to burn my jeans and tan my ***. coated em..and forgot they were there.

Attached Thumbnails New ceramic coating on used exhaust - Thunderheader-zzz2.jpg  
Old 09-08-2012, 10:30 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Send it to performancecoatings.com in Washington. I had mine done there. Price is around $200, the guy rides a harley and has done his pipes. They were great to deal with and can send you samples in the mail to see what the finished product will look like.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Chaz-H
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftace
The ceramic coating is worth the cost. First they coat it inside and out which you aren't going to do with a rattle can. The finish is much much tougher than paint. It takes quite a effort to scuff or damage it and if you do you can polish it back out in most cases. The look, especially of the silver luster coating is sweet, even once it cures it turns to a almost cast alum finish. Temp reductions are the best part. On my old bikes with ceramic pipes they were bare hand touchable after any type of a ride in under 30mins. Now sure you don't always go around grabbing your exhaust when you get somewhere, but sitting at stop lights it's not radiating onto your leg. Oh yeah there's a horsepower bonus too with improved scavenging but thats just a bonus. Jet-Hot is the biggest name, and yeah they're gonna be spendy. Call a local chromer/powdercoater/hot rod shop/off road shop and get some recommendations. Those dudes know where to get it done.
What this guy said.

They've been ceramic coating high performance car exhausts for years (bear with me here). Some of these turbo Jap inline 4's and 6's run seriously hot, like, glowing-red-in-the-daytime hot turbos. So, if the coatings help them, it can sure help us.

Plus, you get a small HP gain. But mostly, it'll allow better heat control which allows your engine to run cooler.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you want your exhaust coated because A) it just looks cool, or B) you want the associated advantages of a proper ceramic coated finish.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes they're loud.I've painted mine with VHT and with Rustoleum High temp BBQ paint.The Rustoleum holds up better.The VHT sat out in the rain one weekend and it rusted to Sh*t.Go with the Rustolem you can touch it up on the bike too that's what I do.

The following users liked this post:
lespaul6 (11-13-2021)