Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ceramic coating on used exhaust - Thunderheader

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

High temp powder coat will hold up just fine, just can't use standard powder. High temp is good for something like 1200 degrees.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

For the record the jet hot ceramic coating costs $250/qt. thats what my local powdercoater told me anyway. my local pc said he'd spray my th for $100 using what he had left from a previous job.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:16 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

You also need to take into account the labor regarding prepping your exhaust if you want a quality job. Media blasting etc.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by QC-RAIDERS-91
Is the thunderheader really loud, because I really like that exhaust and would love one on the dyna but some "artist" in Quebec forced the government to check every exhaust system with a sonometer and everyone higher than 100something in decibel get a 150$ fines and I can't afford to pay that every 2weeks
No its not loud until you really twist that throttle. Otherwise it's pretty mellow.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRock
Thanks John

As for the VHT, I see they recommend 3 or 4 coats, cleaner, primer, paint, clear... Did you do your mufflers per their recommendation?
My mufflers were chrome so I just sanded them down really good with a lapping pad on my grinder then cleaned them with denatured alcohol before paint. Then I hit them with about 4 coats and let them dry overnight. The next day I installed them trying carefully not to rub the paint anywhere and then did the idle/cool/run/cool method and so far the paint is holding up really well. I used the VHT flat black http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-SP1202/

The directions on the can just said prepare and clean the surface to be sprayed and then bake in an oven after several coats which like you I don't have a large firing oven handy. I didn't see anything about primer, or clear on the directions so I am thinking that is for one of the other colors or types. I am attaching a pic showing the mufflers, its been a few months since I painted them and several hundred miles already with no visible signs of anything bad.

Attached Thumbnails New ceramic coating on used exhaust - Thunderheader-img_1815.jpg  

Last edited by xantasm; 05-08-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I had my head pipe ceramic coated here locally. Sand Blast, prep, coat, $150. Has held up very well for the last 8000 miles. Changed color a little bit, went from a flat black to a sort black with a brown tint to it. Powder coater waranteed the finish for 1 year.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 PM
JoeRock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xantasm
I am attaching a pic showing the mufflers, its been a few months since I painted them and several hundred miles already with no visible signs of anything bad.
Wow, they look really good! I'm really thinking of giving the VHT a try. Even considering their 4 step process. Since it is holding up that well on your mufflers with just the paint, maybe the 4 step process will do well on the Thunderheader as I understand it gets a tad hot.

VHT Coating System

VHT provides a multi-high performance coating system for the ultimate in protection and quality. The system includes surface preparation, primer, paint and clear coat.

Prep SP445 Prep Spray
Prime SP118 FlameProof™ Primer
Coat SPXXX FlameProof™ Color
Finish SP115 FlameProof™ Clear

Originally Posted by Rick's Ultra
I had my head pipe ceramic coated here locally. Sand Blast, prep, coat, $150. Has held up very well for the last 8000 miles. Changed color a little bit, went from a flat black to a sort black with a brown tint to it. Powder coater waranteed the finish for 1 year.
Great deal on ceramic coating! But changing colors now? Hmmm, maybe that will go well with my Brown Bags on order.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i used manganese phosphate parkerizing with a blackening solution
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 AM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my stock 2011 Wide Glide Exhaust ceramic coated. It is not cheap. They came out really good and have held up well. I have now decided to go back to chrome. If anyone interested I have them up for sale on the Dyna Parts of this website. Make a reasonable offer and pay the coat of shipping. Photos and more info can be found there....

Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 AM
JoeRock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by retxpres
I had my stock 2011 Wide Glide Exhaust ceramic coated. It is not cheap.
Where did you have it done?

The following users liked this post:
NightProwlerDyna (01-12-2024)

Quick Reply: New ceramic coating on used exhaust - Thunderheader