Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob Opinions (not looking to start a war)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:17 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Made pretty much this decision myself - well, was also considering a VRod.

After a couple of hours on a Fat Boy there were three things that killed it for me:

1. Too low for my height (6'2"). It felt like I was perched on top of the bike rather than part of it.

2. Front brake was dismal. Was actually scary a couple of times. At one point I ended up sailing through a red light by 6' because I'd over-estimated the bike's stopping ability.

3. The ground clearance is pathetic. Nearly every roundabout and sharp corner I went around I scraped the footboards. I'm not talking one or two minor scrapes here, I scraped the boards more often than not. I had a quick look when I returned the bike and the bottom of the right board was a mess.

Loved the looks of the Fat Boy but if I'd bought it it would have been a heart rather than mind decision.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 AM
kmontague
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went from street bob to a street glide and back to a fat bob. Absolutely love my fat bob. Have installed screaming eagle stage 3 kit which has made the bike a whole new kind of monster. It is a smile factory

Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 AM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have about 12,000 miles on my 2008 Fatbob. I am 6-3, 290 and my wife is 5-7, 145. We ride 2-up about 50% of the time and it does a nice job. I can only do about 90 minutes at a time before the butt syndrome sets in -get off for 10 minutes and go. We run a Corbin dual tour and she gets along with it better than me- it is a little firm.We tried a Sundowner but was too wide. I rode a 2006 Duece for a while and the Fatbob is much more responsive and handles better. 88cu vs 96cu could have something to do with it. Best mod was putting in a SE255 cam this spring really came to life. Mike

Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 AM
CMC
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year at this time I went through the same analysis. Loved the look of the Fat Boy Lo, but as I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, I just wasn't comfortable on it. The Fat Bob fits me like a custom-made glove. Considering I had sold my Triumph sportbike because it was uncomfortable, I figured "go with the best fit." I know I made the right choice for me. Good luck with your decision!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Wide Glide but if I had to choose between those two bikes, I would go with the Fat Bob.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 AM
STREETWALKER
Cruiser

Had 88 ci fat boy. Now have 96 ci sb. Dyna is so much more suited to my riding style. I'm sure the new fbob is much better but I would not want a lowered bike after getting used to the dyna. Actually I'm wanting to Jack mine up 4X4 style. Never ridden a fat Bob but it should be even better than what I have if you like that asthetic. If not and you still want one they are easy enough to change. Just get the checkbook ready! you could save some coin and get the sb or sg and put the difference towards exhaust etc. Or just get abagger for the price of the sloptail. They have a reg suspension in rear. Oh yea, forgot to mention that the counterbalance d motor did vibrate at speed. Mine had a five speed only. Love the new six speed!

Last edited by STREETWALKER; 05-06-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

I switched from my Softail Deluxe (very similar to the Fat Boy) to my Fatbob in 2009. The Deluxe was very comfortable, but 2 things killed it for me.

1) Very little turning clearance. Had to be careful even turning at intersections. I don't like running out of lean angle and I am not a knee dragger by any means.

2) I hated the counterbalanced engine. Almost felt like I was on a Honda, even with my Thunderheader...the engine just had zero personality IMO.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:19 PM
clang
Cruiser

This is the Dyna section, so you know we all prefer the Fat Bob (with maybe an exception or two).

Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Most dealers will let ya test ride for a few miles. Give it a shot. I love my softail night train, I test rode a Fat boy and hated it.
I hate how my wifes dyna superglide rides, but love my buddy's wide glide.
All different dude, good luck!!

Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,299 Likes on 3,172 Posts

I ride a 94 Softail. 6'1", 260, I was looking at the Fat Boy Low. Was a good fit for me

Quick Reply: Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob Opinions (not looking to start a war)