Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasty oil spillage...too much oil? Where would it overflow from?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Nasty oil spillage...too much oil? Where would it overflow from?

I changed the oil in my new '96 DLR on Saturday. I changed the filter and put two quarts of Mobil 1 in there, idled it for about 10 minutes, and filled til it said FULL HOT. Took exactly three quarts. Due to weather, I wasn't able to ride it that day. I did notice the semi stripped drain plug leaking, so I dumped the oil and redid the drain plug, then put the "new" oil right back in there. Same amount. Today was the first day I was able to ride, and there's oil all over the place around the dipstick, tranny, and dripping in multiple locations. When I check the level, it reads overfull at temp. My searches indicate that 3 quarts is capacity with filter change, and if anything, I Should have less in there due to the leaking, so what gives?

I'm ready to dump the oil again and start over so I Can ride without making a mess and looking douchy.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say you put too much back in. I put only 2 quarts in after oil change and filter, maybe a tad more. The level reads right in the middle hot or cold. If I put any more in it spits it out my air filter. If you overfill, you could use a turkey baster to suck some out.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

But isn't the capacity 3 quarts? I just checked it again (it's been sitting about an hour and a half, two hours) and it's definitely reading overfilled.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakko47
But isn't the capacity 3 quarts? I just checked it again (it's been sitting about an hour and a half, two hours) and it's definitely reading overfilled.
Well if it's reading overfilled and you put in 3 quarts then I would say no,it's not 3 quarts.
My 08 street bob when it was stock would spit oil out if I put any more than 2 quarts in with a filter change. Now with an oil cooler and a 106 2.5 quarts is all that will go in without oil dripping out of the breather.
I run my bike so that the oil is about an inch up the dipstick when hot. Any more than that and it spits.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 PM
BadDwg06
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Abouthow much oil came out when you drained it? (The second time) Was it around 3 its...or around 1qt? Im not questioning your skills, but I just got home from my buddy's place for the same head scratcher...come to find out in his haste, he pulled the trans plug...and dumped an extra qt back into his crankcase...

Last edited by BadDwg06; 05-02-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakko47
If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the capacity is 3 quarts "dry" but for an oil "change" I believe it's 2.5 quarts. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong...

Old 05-02-2012, 11:23 PM
BadDwg06
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct...at least for my 06...2.5qt for a change...but capacity of the system is 3qt from a rebuild

Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 PM
TGWN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manuals are an amazing read. They keep you from dumping oil all over the place. Add 2 qts to a cold bike. Warm it up and leak check it. Take it for a spin. 1/2 qt low won't hurt it. Then fill to 2 marks below full. That should put you close to 2.5 qts. Youtube it for practice.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:14 AM
Spud17
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you filled it back up you didn't account for the half a quart of oil that was still in the oil filter. So if you pulled the plug to fix it but left the oil filter in then it only needed 2.5 quarts to go back to the level it was before.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:01 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You never add three full quarts it's just too much oil. (cept on first fill which comes from the dealer) .should only need to add 2.5 as others said. Now you took out the oil and added three a second time without emptying the filter....to much! since you already have a mess just pull the plug and take out at least a quart and go from there. When oil spews out of the dipstick what does the dipstic read? achh noobs LOL <--- just joking we all make mistakes its normal!And the most embarassing ones are where we tend to learn the most from!!!

Quick Reply: Nasty oil spillage...too much oil? Where would it overflow from?