Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012 | 10:20 AM
jmullins
|
4th Gear
Default Need advice on wide glide

I'm new here and lookin for some advice. Bought my first bike a few months ago to learn to ride. Went with an 04 sportster I found on Craigslist... What a mistake. Nothing against sportsters it's a nice bike, I just want something a little more comfortable.
Long story short I'm torn between a wide glide and a street glide. I know they are totally different bikes all around and I like them both for different reasons. What I really want to know is will I be miserable taking a trip on a WG? Talked to a salesman yesterday who says I'm gonna "hate life" after over 2 hours on a WG.

Some of you guys with some major miles on a dyna help me out here... I'm 6' 180. Should I bite the bullet and go touring?

Old 04-28-2012 | 10:24 AM
JHoytMaddox
Cruiser

I'm 6' 180. I ride a dyna with mids. Good enough for several hour trips. I've also got three herniated discs. I fell if not for that I could ride this bike all day.
Depends on what you're gonna use your bike for I guess. If its a touring bike, you like the bells and whistles, you're out for week long two wheeled excursions, SG. If you're looking to profile, bar hop, generally just look like a badass, occasionally do a weekend trip, WG.
My .02.

Old 04-28-2012 | 10:25 AM
Napoli
Tourer

I have a wg and have taken many long trips it with no problems. The dealer is bullshitting you to make money.

Old 04-28-2012 | 10:27 AM
JHoytMaddox
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Napoli
I have a wg and have taken many long trips it with no problems. The dealer is bullshitting you to make money.
Maybe....

Old 04-28-2012 | 10:49 AM
jmullins
|
4th Gear

Thanks guys. I'm not gonna be touring the country but I would like to take some good 500+ mile trips. Storage is another issue. I'm a single guy so it'll almost always be just me. Are there some removable bags that don't kill the looks of the WG? Pics would be awesome. I'm lookin at '10 and up

Old 04-28-2012 | 11:10 AM
twerkman2
Cruiser

all depends on what you want really all the bells and whistles of a sg.
or do you just want what a wg has to offer.
I myself if I were taking 500 + mile trip I would get a bigger bike then the wg.
I do 300 mile trips on my wg as long as you have a comphy seat your good to go.
I like the flexibility of a wide glide you can add bags and **** for long trips.
mine rides smooth on the highway and if you want to do short trips on it takes all bags off either way wg is bad ***.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7440939...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7440939...n/photostream/

Old 04-28-2012 | 11:29 AM
Steel Steed
Road Captain

I've done 8 hour ride in one day, 1000 mile weekend on my Wide Glide and it was fine. Started to get a little sore, but I think that would happen on any bike. I can't wait for the next 1000+ mile ride!

Old 04-28-2012 | 12:05 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Rather than make another costly mistake, rent a Street Glide for a day--see for yourself. And you might prefer the ride and handling of a Super Glide over a Wide Glide.

And take plenty of breaks. Don't kill yourself trying to see how much pain you can stand before stopping.

Old 04-28-2012 | 12:52 PM
Le Vizir
Tourer

Originally Posted by JHoytMaddox
Depends on what you're gonna use your bike for I guess. If its a touring bike, you like the bells and whistles, you're out for week long two wheeled excursions, SG. If you're looking to profile, bar hop, generally just look like a badass, occasionally do a weekend trip, WG.
My .02.
I agree but that's depend of your health body & will power !
For my personal choice WG is the better choice ^^

Old 04-28-2012 | 01:08 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member

All said and done, dynas are great bikes for just about anything you want to do with them, once you set them up for you as the rider.

Everybody modifies them for what they want them to do.

I have ridden mine from Louisiana to the Philly area twice now and never had a problem with the ride-ability of my FatBob (after I set it up for me). As a mater of fact I had a total blast cruising up and back.

Here's the bike I rode (except with my tall sissy bar <not shown> to attach my T-Bags to).

Quick Reply: Need advice on wide glide