Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Brace

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:57 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fork Brace

Got a new SE Fork Brace for my '06 WG for X-MAS. Thought today I'd get around to putting it on. Course nothing is easy. The bolts that came with the kit were too short (am I the first one to ever put one on a late model WG. Doesn't HD see if it fits first?). This required me to go to the local hardware store for longer, chrome allen head bolts. then one of the threads stripped and the only tap I was missing was that size. Another trip, now to Sears, for the tap. finally got it on and I guess the trouble was worth it. Looks great. will post pics when it warms up.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Fork Brace

I had the exact same problem. I took mine back to my dealer who thought I was nuts or inept. I was patronizingly told they could install it for me but that I'd have to pay a 1/2 hour's labor. I told him I would gladly pay a full hour if they could install it using only the parts from the kit. If not, they install it free and wash my bike. Needless to say, I got a free install and a decent wash/polish.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:08 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your lucky you can even get one, the harley and kayr, won`t work on my 05 wideglide because i have the chrome caps, go figure i buy the harley chrome kit, and they tell me there product won`t work because i have there EXTRA chrome

Old 01-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Standard chrome caps or the fancy fluted ones? I have chrome caps on my 06 and the SE brace fits just fine.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:19 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: wideglidebob

your lucky you can even get one, the harley and kayr, won`t work on my 05 wideglide because i have the chrome caps, go figure i buy the harley chrome kit, and they tell me there product won`t work because i have there EXTRA chrome
The HD parts and accessories catalog specifies that you can't put the brace on if you have the fluted caps....they don't specify that you can't put it on with the billet caps. However, if you look at the description of the billet caps, it says the SE fork brace won't fit with them.
This caused a big mess for me because I went to the dealer last week to buy the SE brace..and I do have the billet caps (dust covers), as well as the chrome fork sliders. Just as I was about to make the purchase...and after a long discussion with the parts guy...he realized that the billet caps (non-fluted) specifically say it won't work with the fork brace.
So the bottom line is, if you have any chrome dust covers/caps (i.e. fluted, or just plain billet), you CANNOT install the SE fork brace. I was almost considering leaving the fork sliders on, and removing the billet dust caps, just so I could install the brace...and the truth is, if someone can tell me that the fork brace makes that much of a difference in ride quality, I still may do it. For now, I'll wait...because 1) I paid for the chrome/billet dust covers, and 2) I really like the way they look.

Todd

Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: veniculum

So the bottom line is, if you have any chrome dust covers/caps (i.e. fluted, or just plain billet), you CANNOT install the SE fork brace.

I was almost considering leaving the fork sliders on, and removing the billet dust caps, just so I could install the brace...and the truth is, if someone can tell me that the fork brace makes that much of a difference in ride quality, I still may do it. For now, I'll wait...because 1) I paid for the chrome/billet dust covers, and 2) I really like the way they look.
Huh? I have the chrome dust covers, not the chrome sliders though. My SE brace fits. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post.

On a wide glide, the brace makes a noticeable improvement right away. The improvement is even more significant if you ride two up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16528/7FD68EE568454C9F987B5D4B5B9A9553.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-01-2007, 11:54 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ktm_scott

ORIGINAL: veniculum

So the bottom line is, if you have any chrome dust covers/caps (i.e. fluted, or just plain billet), you CANNOT install the SE fork brace.

I was almost considering leaving the fork sliders on, and removing the billet dust caps, just so I could install the brace...and the truth is, if someone can tell me that the fork brace makes that much of a difference in ride quality, I still may do it. For now, I'll wait...because 1) I paid for the chrome/billet dust covers, and 2) I really like the way they look.
Huh? I have the chrome dust covers, not the chrome sliders though. My SE brace fits. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post.

On a wide glide, the brace makes a noticeable improvement right away. The improvement is even more significant if you ride two up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16528/7FD68EE568454C9F987B5D4B5B9A9553.jpg[/IMG]
No sir...you do not...these are the ones I have....billet dust covers
Read the description..."Does not fit with Screamin' Eagle® Chrome Fork Brace P/Ns 46634-06 or 46595-06. "

Todd

[IMG]local://upfiles/6866/6289036F3CCE42D981155675A6A46349.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2007, 12:25 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior

I believe that the 06 later wide glides come stock with chrome dust covers (unlike previous models that had rubber covers). When I purchased my bike from the dealer, it already had a chrome front end package installed....this package included the fork sliders, billet dust covers, fork top bolt covers, axle nut covers, chrome wheel spacers..and a few other chrome bits.

I'm assuming yours are the stock chrome covers Scott? It's difficult to see from your picture becuase the brace partially covers them...at first I was certain they were the stock chrome covers...but now looking at it again, I'm wondering if you purchased the upgraded billet covers. If they are the ones I have, then the catalog is incorrect, and I'd sure be interested to hear how the install went, and if you had any trouble making them fit

Thanks man.

Todd

Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

My '06 WG came with the chrome covers. Once I finally got thru the wrong bolts etc.. (and a couple of beers) it came together well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/D4B6D52F87E34B96B5A21A88BD1FAE67.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2007, 10:04 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member

well i finally got my race-tech lowering springs and gold thing , anyway f%%% the brace what a difference in looks and handling, i`ll go against any lowrider now with the prog shocks in back and real springs in the front and lowered its a completly different bike, i diden`t like the look of the brace in my humble opinon it just junked up the front with to many things,

Quick Reply: Fork Brace