Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please provide some assistance!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Rustyrider
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the ground wire connection to the bike first...

Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I get 4-6 years out of harley batteries but I refuse to use a tender. I just ride the bike every week. Sometimes I think some tenders shorten the life of the battery.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:42 PM
dbcoooper
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustyrider
Check the ground wire connection to the bike first...

Where is the ground wire attached?? I may have knocked it when I was giving it a good cleaning and polishing the nook and crannies.

Dave

Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM
dbcoooper
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Chicago Ken
Who makes a good battery? How much is a fare price to pay, before I check with the dealer. I like optima have em in my cars. do they make em for bikes too?
Need to replace mine too!
I do a lot of starting and stopping picking up stuff around town. Made 8 stops the other day and got a check engine and battery check light riding home. Went out to start the bike the next day and it was dead.
Battery is only two years old and kept on a tender! Are the batteries that come from Harley really that crappy?
I just called my local dealer. Alberta Canada price $192 plus tax That sucks!!

Dave

Old 04-23-2012, 06:42 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at aftermarket batteries. I understand Interstate makes good ones. No need to pay more that $100-120.

Testing is easy - charge until the tender says it's full. Then hook up a volt meter to the posts - it will probably read solidly between 12 and 13. When you try to start it, if the voltage drops below 10, the battery is probably bad. If below 9, it's bad and needs to be replaced. When my battery went, it charged to something like 12.98 and dropped to 5-6 volts when I cranked the starter.

The bigger problem is finding out why your battery went all of a sudden. On your bike, the ground wires come from the battery and bolt to the frame, just to the left of the battery box. But, if its ticking fast, that's probably not the problem. If you ended up letting it drain completely - e.g., like leaving the lights on - that could do it, especially if the battery was older. If you can get it to jump, check the voltage across the posts - should read about 12.14 and not fluctuate too much when you rev the engine, otherwise it might be the charging system.

I went through 2 batteries and $250 at the indy shop before finding my problem last summer. Hope you don't go through the same.

... oh, yeah ... and make sure the little rubber boot completely covers the positive battery terminal so it doesn't occasionally touch the inside of the battery box cover and drain the battery

Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In a pinch you could jump your battery with a car, just with the car motor and ignition off.
@ tOSUSteve another brilliant avatar! me likes!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
annapolisfatbob
Tourer

its your battery dont waste your time checking connections! go have it checked first before buying a new one

Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its 5 years old... its toast...

Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,023 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by dbcoooper
Where is the ground wire attached?? I may have knocked it when I was giving it a good cleaning and polishing the nook and crannies.

Dave
Mine is grounded at the starter. Just follow the negative cable until it ends. It's still probably the battery but can't hurt to check.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
dbcoooper
Cruiser

Thanks guys. Love this forum. I have it on a trickle charger. Tomorrow I will get the battery tested.

Dave

Quick Reply: Please provide some assistance!