Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the "lolli pop" mod today

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 AM
onemyndseye
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by o_leary17
I just ordered some W model TTI's.

Dont think youll be sorry my friend!! Do us a favor? Add a washer to your setup and take a ride before installing the TTI's so you can give us a Butt Dyno difference

Old 04-24-2012, 08:59 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm that could be how long have you had your pipes? Maybe if i put the washer with bolt through it the noise will go away.

Here are some pics of the mod.

The whistle sound is because the eye bolt does not complete a full circle. That little gap at the end of the loop causes the whistling when the air rushes through it. I did the same mod on my old drag pipes. It sounded like an old VW bug. I then sandwiched two washers over the hole to make a solid disc. The noise went away. It worked quite well though. Solid disc straight on quieted it a lot. I could then rotate them 90* and have just a solid bar kinda like the screwdriver in front of the pipe. It was a little louder, but still quieter than straight pipes. Before the mod the bike would really take off at 4,000 rpms. After, it pulled more linear straight through. My new 2-1 is way better though.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:35 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by onemyndseye
Great info Kevin.. Thanks so much for sharing! You are very welcome for the plug... we appreciate your involvement in the community here

"Too good to be true" one of the reason that after talking with you a couple weeks ago about the TTI's I decided to play around with the lolli's 1st. Just wasnt convinced Now? Ooooooh yeah

I continue to feel serious increase in torque in the low-mid bands.. today in 4 lane traffic I got boxed in and was feeling abit nervous. Dunno about you guys but being trapped in a field of crazy monday morning cages in abit unnerving to me lol... anyways I saw my opportunity, headchecked, grabbed a gear and a fistfull of twist and took the outside lane with authority.

When I did the rear broke loose and tracked several inches outside the front. Traffic coming and no choice but to stand with my conviction... I banged 2 quick gears and passed 2 cars, returned to the Right hand lane and out of the bottle-neck before fully regaining traction. Whew!

It actually all went down sooooo fast that the sinking feeling in my stomach didnt hit until about 3 miles up the road when all was calm again and I had time to think about what had just went down lol.

After the shock had cleared the thought cross my mind "wow not bad for a basically stock bike" lol ... It was 7:30am so I'm sure even though the road appeared dry there was abit of dew on the road and my tires were not warmed up yet.. but even so - the bike had the power to carry me through a sticky situation with power to spare Full win in my book!

Those inserts from Gman are pretty cool even though little bit of bling is neat but really unseen in the pipe. .. Great find though!! They appear to be very well made and I havnt seen alot of these sorts of kits... Do you imagine that the embossed flames have a negative effect on velocity?
Yep, hate to get boxed in. Glad you made it out ok with just a big shot of adrenaline!

I don't see those flames making any kind of measurable difference. Not being coated will make a measurable difference. Also, we had the studs welded to the end of the disc, and, not often, but sometimes, they will bend or break at that point. Harmonics on our bikes can fatigue metal over a period of time, especially when combined with high heat and constant pressure.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 AM
Spud17
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onemyndseye
Dont think youll be sorry my friend!! Do us a favor? Add a washer to your setup and take a ride before installing the TTI's so you can give us a Butt Dyno difference

Yeah ill give that a try when they come in. In the same day ill run just baffles, then the lollipops then the tti's and see if I notice a change.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 AM
onemyndseye
Tourer

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
The whistle sound is because the eye bolt does not complete a full circle. That little gap at the end of the loop causes the whistling when the air rushes through it. I did the same mod on my old drag pipes. It sounded like an old VW bug. I then sandwiched two washers over the hole to make a solid disc. The noise went away. It worked quite well though. Solid disc straight on quieted it a lot. I could then rotate them 90* and have just a solid bar kinda like the screwdriver in front of the pipe. It was a little louder, but still quieter than straight pipes. Before the mod the bike would really take off at 4,000 rpms. After, it pulled more linear straight through. My new 2-1 is way better though.

Ahh... didnt think of that John... nice catch!! Glad to hear another positive report from this mod. Figured a 2-1 would still pull harder but I have wondered what would happen if you did this mod to a 2-1 pipe O.o

Yeah ill give that a try when they come in. In the same day ill run just baffles, then the lollipops then the tti's and see if I notice a change.
Great!!! Cant wait to hear the report - I find this crap really fascinating lol

Last edited by onemyndseye; 05-03-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:42 AM
Spud17
Road Captain

Im still waiting on the TTI's, I'm wondering if the difference will be more noticeable on my bike with cams and tuner?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 AM
onemyndseye
Tourer

Im still waiting on the TTI's, I'm wondering if the difference will be more noticeable on my bike with cams and tuner?

Exhaust is completely independent of those so I would think yes. DK has some dyno charts that are not stock bikes. Dunno about cams tho

Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Spud17
Road Captain

Well I put the loli pops back in today with the bolt and washer through them with baffles still installed. I decided I didnt like how it sounded so I pulled the baffles out. Didn't get to ride it just as I got them installed the tornado siren when off. I also didnt get to try out the tti's because I was smart and ordered the wrong size they are to big. Hopefully get to ride it tomorrow with out baffles.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:11 PM
denimbob08
Cruiser

so what do you guys think of the baffles that are two inch outer but have a dome shape inside down to a 1 inch baffle that is about 4 inches long. have this on order. is short but the forcing of exhaust to turn around and go through the small baffle should quiet down a lot. any ideas?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Spud17
Road Captain

Originally Posted by denimbob08
so what do you guys think of the baffles that are two inch outer but have a dome shape inside down to a 1 inch baffle that is about 4 inches long. have this on order. is short but the forcing of exhaust to turn around and go through the small baffle should quiet down a lot. any ideas?
Yeah that should make it more quiet, you'll have to let us know how it sounds.

Quick Reply: Did the "lolli pop" mod today