Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True-Track

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 AM
macnab_sf
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
...You know, that shimmy you don't experience with a Softail.
Who let you in here? Some folks like a little shimmy.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpy 1962
i to, have tt, sitting on the bench.
bought some decent rear shock's, hagon nitro's.
the idea, was to fit one thing at a time, to feel the difference.
i don't think i need the tt.
my weight is 214lb's.
i can't understand the lousy instruction's niether.
thinking of selling or swaping the tt for something i really need.
grumpy.
I'm with you, some decent shocks makes a huge difference

This brings up a very good question. If everyone swears that a Dyna handles better than a Softail then why is this kit even around and why would anyone want or need to install it? Wait, I know why. Because of the shimmy you experience in curves. You know, that shimmy you don't experience with a Softail.
Unfortunately us Dyna riders wouldn't have to experience nearly as much shimmy if we didnt have to spend so much of our time zig-zagging around those Softails riding like their driving Miss Daisy

lol

Last edited by ynots; 04-18-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 AM
numismaddict
Cruiser
Talking Oh, SNAP!!

Originally Posted by ynots
...Unfortunately us Dyna riders wouldn't have to experience nearly as much shimmy if we didnt have to spend so much of our time zig-zagging around those Softails riding like their driving Miss Daisy

lol

LOL yeah! Teach them Softail owners not to hijack Dyna threads to talk about their bikes!!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:03 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
I'm with you, some decent shocks makes a huge difference

Unfortunately us Dyna riders wouldn't have to experience nearly as much shimmy if we didnt have to spend so much of our time zig-zagging around those Softails riding like their driving Miss Daisy

lol
Funny you should mention that. The last time I was out riding most of us Softail riders were having to go around the Dyna riders. Especially in the curves. You know, because of that rear shimmy problem. My most recent bike before my current Softail was a Dyna so I do have a clue as to the capabilities of a Dyna. Mine also had the rear shimmy issue because of the rubber mounted drivetrain. I don't have a problem with the Dyna family I just prefer a Softail.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't have a problem with the Dyna family I just prefer a Softail.
I remember your Dyna, I thought is was pretty bas ***. I guess you just got tired of having to fab your own stuff for your Dyna, so you went to a softail so you could just buy a bunch of bolt on stuff, lol.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM
RobsSG
Cruiser

Ok...here is a question...why would you need a true track if you bought a 2012 with the "new and improved" frame that was suppose to take all the wobble out of the thing?...Just a silly observation. I have an 08, installed the bagger brace because the frame NEEDED it...and have never had a wobble, installs was 30 min by myself on the side stand...hummm.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahhh, one of my favorite topics about my beloved raised and non stock suspended Dyna series HD.
I positively love tight and twisty roads !

My Fat Bob has no True Track, and it will handle/perform on tight, curvy roads in a most un-Harley like fashion.

Notice I wrote, tight twisty roads. My beast literally becomes "un-hinged" if I lean her over and attempt to rail on high speed sweeping curves. My beast, at speeds above about 50 mph becomes a handful if I try to bend it over on those sweepers, particularly if there are any imperfections in the road surface. The back end begins to wander, oscillating to and fro, the frame begins to flex uncomfortably and the forks up front (I've Superbraced them) begin to do their own thing as well.
The enormous twisting, turning forces generated by my way portly Harley I think begin to possibly overwhelm the capabilities of the frame-suspension-tire interface which come on for my bike as I said at attempted speeds over about 50mph. A true-track might help the back end stay better aligned at those higher speeds, but it would do nothing to alleviate the huge forces on the frame and suspension.

To re-iterate, my beast is fabulous with no True-Track in any twisties at less than 50mph.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
Notice I wrote, tight twisty roads. My beast literally becomes "un-hinged" if I lean her over and attempt to rail on high speed sweeping curves. My beast, at speeds above about 50 mph becomes a handful if I try to bend it over on those sweepers, particularly if there are any imperfections in the road surface. The back end begins to wander, oscillating to and fro, the frame begins to flex uncomfortably and the forks up front (I've Superbraced them) begin to do their own thing as well.
The enormous twisting, turning forces generated by my way portly Harley I think begin to possibly overwhelm the capabilities of the frame-suspension-tire interface which come on for my bike as I said at attempted speeds over about 50mph. A true-track might help the back end stay better aligned at those higher speeds, but it would do nothing to alleviate the huge forces on the frame and suspension.

To re-iterate, my beast is fabulous with no True-Track in any twisties at less than 50mph.
You hit the nail on the head with this topic. The bike does handle great at low speeds in tight corners. However, with my daily ride to work I hit a lot of long sweeping high speed corners and this is where I think the True-Track will be noticed. If my daily ride consisted of nothing but tight twisties like those on the dragon then I would have nothing to complain about. So when I get around to ordering this and installing i, I'll get to find out how much it really does help.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
bsljacques
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
Ahhh, one of my favorite topics about my beloved raised and non stock suspended Dyna series HD.
I positively love tight and twisty roads !

My Fat Bob has no True Track, and it will handle/perform on tight, curvy roads in a most un-Harley like fashion.

Love the picture of the hard left! What did you do to raise the bike besides the rear shocks? Did you leave the front fork alone?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Road King 12 1/2 inch shocks, progressive springs up front with slightly heavier racing oil in the forks, triple trees raised to flush at the top of fork tubes.

Quick Reply: True-Track