Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A note for those with decell popping.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 AM
AZfatbob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A note for those with decell popping.......

My 2012 Fatbob with SE intake, Rush slip ons and dealer download popped like crazy during deceleration. I realized nothing could really be done until I went to a fuel management system or HD pro tuner. So I got the V&H Big Shots and the Super tuner and paid the dealer for 4 hours of Dyno time only to have the popping still there only louder with the big shots. I took it back to them twice for popping and each time I think it got a little worse. They just could not help and blamed it on the Big Shots. Needless to say, I gave up on the dealer. I found a small local guy with a dyno and took it to him. Got it back, no popping, runs way better for about half of what I paid the dealer for a really bad tune.A dyno is a great tool but like anything else I guess, it's only as good as the people running it. No more HD dealers for me.

If you need a dyno man/mechanic in AZ, I can point you in the right direction.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts
Default popping

I had the same problem.Vance&Hines twin slash tip mufflers and a Big Sucker air cleaner conversion.Finally gave up and ordered a Vance & Hines fuel pack for a 2012 S/G Custom.Bike now runs better and absolutey no deaccel popping at all.Best bang for the buck out there on the 2012 models.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default It Works!

Originally Posted by GTK
I had the same problem.Vance&Hines twin slash tip mufflers and a Big Sucker air cleaner conversion.Finally gave up and ordered a Vance & Hines fuel pack for a 2012 S/G Custom.Bike now runs better and absolutey no deaccel popping at all.Best bang for the buck out there on the 2012 models.
Gotta agree with the V&H Fuelpak being a good bang for the buck. Gotta also say (IMHO) that the dealer stage one download is a waste of time and money. As long as you aren't going to go any further than slip ons and high flow intake, the Fuelpak should be adequate. After that, not so much!

Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Who and where? I've been thinking about motor and cam upgrade eventually.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:48 PM
AZfatbob
Advanced

777, sent you the info in a message. Not sure about forum rules regarding posting certain info.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

AZfatbob, thanks for the pm! I'm curious what numbers your getting now?

Old 04-15-2012, 01:13 PM
AZfatbob
Advanced

I forgot to grab the sheets so he is going to e-mail them to me. 93/103 is pretty close. My exhaust choice is not the best for performance but I'm not concerned with numbers......much. May go to a 2-1 soon.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:17 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go back to the dealer and ask for a refund

Old 04-15-2012, 02:28 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AZfatbob
I forgot to grab the sheets so he is going to e-mail them to me. 93/103 is pretty close. My exhaust choice is not the best for performance but I'm not concerned with numbers......much. May go to a 2-1 soon.
93/103 from a stock stage one motor?? Is it a 103ci?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:49 PM
ProStreetGlide
Intermediate

Ok I've read a good amount the dealer tunes and problems with popping/flames out the exhaust. But not one person has actually proved that the a/f's are actually wrong and therefore needs to be tuned. I'm not trying to start anything. I was just wondering if anyone had any a/f data showing that they were off, causing the popping. The reason I ask this is because my bike pops and shoots flames. (I have pretty short pipes) i also baught it stock with a pc V. I haven't messed with the power cammander because it seems to run great other then the popping. But I don't really mind it. Ha

Also not to sure about Harley tuning but I have had plenty of cars with custom tunes that were spot on. And I would have some Decel popping, depending on the car.

Quick Reply: A note for those with decell popping.......