Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Plasti-Dip Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 02:42 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Haven't gone thru all the pages but wondering if this stuff comes in hi temp heat as well.
To shoot the pipes flat black-

Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
Haven't gone thru all the pages but wondering if this stuff comes in hi temp heat as well.
No. It's just rubber. Have your pipes ceramic coated. Cerakote, Jet Hot, etc.

I did this 1911 in one of the low gloss blacks from Cerakote. Sprayed it myself and baked it in the kitchen oven. Wears like iron.

Last edited by cggorman; 01-12-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:35 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cggorman
No. It's just rubber. Have your pipes ceramic coated. Cerakote, Jet Hot, etc.

I did this 1911 in one of the low gloss blacks from Cerakote. Sprayed it myself and baked it in the kitchen oven. Wears like iron.

Thanks,
Hmmm... Wonder if my exhaust pipe will fit in my wife's oven...lol...

Old 01-12-2016, 03:39 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

There are guys on the gun forums that build hot boxes to do long guns. Cerakote doesn't take a lot of heat to cure. If memory serves, it's less than 400 degrees F. Some sheetrock and a couple electric coal starters on a thermostat/rheostat would probably do it. Rigid rockwool sheet would be even better.

Last edited by cggorman; 01-12-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:46 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts

You could also just go to the hardware store and get "stove bright", I've been using it for about 25-30 years now.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:49 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cggorman
There are guys on the gun forums that build hot boxes to do long guns. Cerakote doesn't take a lot of heat to cure. If memory serves, it's less than 400 degrees F. Some sheetrock and a couple electric coal starters on a thermostat/rheostat would probably do it. Rigid rockwool sheet would be even better.
Thx-
Originally Posted by perki48
You could also just go to the hardware store and get "stove bright", I've been using it for about 25-30 years now.
Is "stove bright" basically the same as the hi temp bbq flat black spray paint that
is at the auto parts store?

Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Thx-

Is "stove bright" basically the same as the hi temp bbq flat black spray paint that
is at the auto parts store?
I don't think so, any high temp paint I have ever tried would blister and peel on exhaust. Stove Bright does not. It is designed for wood stoves and good to 1200 degrees.

And for 12-15 bucks a can it is a bargain.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:26 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
You must have done some stuff wrong. This stuff is very forgiving and doesn't just peel off on it's own.

no, it's advertised as being peelable, so it rub it and it will peel off, plus I doubt it's gas resistant, I bet it wont last a week on a gas tank

it's just junky stuff that was never intended to paint automotive or motorcycle parts to begin with, people only started doing it because it can be easily removed. It doesn't bond well like paint does.

The stuff is just a waste of time and money, at best I can't imagine plasti-dip lasting more than a year, if you really want something painted just paint it right or powder coat it, good spray paint is actually cheaper. Krylon is good stuff.

plasti-dip is kids stuff.

Last edited by LunaticFringe; 01-12-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
no, it's advertised as being peelable, so it rub it and it will peel off, plus I doubt it's gas resistant,

it's just junky stuff that was never intended to paint automotive or motorcycle parts to begin with, people only started doing it because it can be easily removed.

The stuff is just a waste of time and money, at best I can't imagine plasti-dip lasting more than a year, if you really want something painted just paint it right or powder coat it, good spray paint is actually cheaper.

plasti-dip is kids stuff.
Think what you want but it does come in handy if you may/may not want a permanent cover. I for one hated the glare I got off of the chrome dash on my Wideglide but did not want to ruin the chrome. Plasti diped it and it came out great. But if I ever want to return to chrome all I have to do is peel it off. Believe it or not, not everybody thinks alike.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:07 AM
IrishRebel
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really dig the stuff personally, to each his own I guess

Quick Reply: The Plasti-Dip Thread