Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Plasti-Dip Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:22 PM
14fatbob
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
It should not trap excessive heat I would think. Especially with an LED. Just my thoughts though.
How was doing the handlebars ? I've tossed around the idea of doing them. I want black bars but at this time don't really want to get new ones.
Looking good !
Thanks for the compliment. That's why I dipped them; I didn't want to pay for the black handle bars. They weren't bad to do. Taped the controls and risers and covered the bike in plastic drop cloths. Any overspray peeled right off. Hardest part was getting underneath between the bars and the cables. I did 5 light coats of the black and 2 of the glossifier. If anything, I'll have the headlight bucket powder coated.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:26 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 14fatbob
Thanks for the compliment. That's why I dipped them; I didn't want to pay for the black handle bars. They weren't bad to do. Taped the controls and risers and covered the bike in plastic drop cloths. Any overspray peeled right off. Hardest part was getting underneath between the bars and the cables. I did 5 light coats of the black and 2 of the glossifier. If anything, I'll have the headlight bucket powder coated.
Sweet, thanks for the advice! What about the clamps, just taped them also?
You can't go wrong with a powdered bucket.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:11 PM
14fatbob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Sweet, thanks for the advice! What about the clamps, just taped them also?
You can't go wrong with a powdered bucket.
Yes. Whatever overspray will just peel off. If the plastic dip dries on the tape and its touching the bars, it'll pull off and you'll have to start over or re tape every coat. Leave a slight space. It's easier just to remove the overspray by hand. It'll tear at the natural breaks where the parts meet. What ever wasn't taped was wrapped in plastic sheet drop cloths from the Home Depot.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:10 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 14fatbob
Yes. Whatever overspray will just peel off. If the plastic dip dries on the tape and its touching the bars, it'll pull off and you'll have to start over or re tape every coat. Leave a slight space. It's easier just to remove the overspray by hand. It'll tear at the natural breaks where the parts meet. What ever wasn't taped was wrapped in plastic sheet drop cloths from the Home Depot.
Okay cool. Thanks again!

Old 11-11-2015, 09:58 AM
jackass dave
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justzx
first attempt at plasti dip. In the sun it surprisingly sparkles more than i thought it would.

new to the thread but thats a fantastic colour just what i have been looking for ,what is it called

Old 01-11-2016, 05:07 PM
BFMCdyna
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I wanted to add a little to this thread because it motivated me to dip my front 13 spoke wheel black. I was pleased with it so I dipped my lowers black and then I decided to see if I'd like a white Dyna so I dip my tins and fairing. I achieved the look I was going for and I'd say I'm out probably $20 total in plasti-dip. To be honest I rushed the tank and rear fender so after about 5,000 miles I'll evaluate whether I leave it, re-dip or go the route of powder and paint. I attached a pic of the bike when I bought it and what it looks like post-dip for a comparison.

Attached Thumbnails The Plasti-Dip Thread-fxdx.jpg   The Plasti-Dip Thread-2002-fxdx2.jpg  
Old 01-11-2016, 05:45 PM
XjldX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BFMCdyna
I wanted to add a little to this thread because it motivated me to dip my front 13 spoke wheel black. I was pleased with it so I dipped my lowers black and then I decided to see if I'd like a white Dyna so I dip my tins and fairing. I achieved the look I was going for and I'd say I'm out probably $20 total in plasti-dip. To be honest I rushed the tank and rear fender so after about 5,000 miles I'll evaluate whether I leave it, re-dip or go the route of powder and paint. I attached a pic of the bike when I bought it and what it looks like post-dip for a comparison.
I did the same a while back and now I'm going a different direction because the white seems to collect dirt, grime, brake dust, and soot from working so close to the port - especially because of the texture or Plastidip.

I'm too lazy to constantly wipe it down, but I don't want it to look completely filthy, so I think I'm going to go with matte black instead. My bike started Pewter Pearl, and has had all sorts of Plastidip done to it (black, silver, white, two-tone), and lots of different kinds of pinstriping tape... and it seems like I'm going to end up with boring old matte black because it'll be easier. It'll be different, just like all the other black bikes. Haha!

Yours looks good, here's to you being able to keep it clean!

Attached Thumbnails The Plasti-Dip Thread-photo985.jpg   The Plasti-Dip Thread-photo745.jpg   The Plasti-Dip Thread-photo84.jpg  
Old 01-11-2016, 05:56 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i think the stuff sucks, its only good if your not sure you want a permanent paint job. But it's hard to spray even and it usually wears off and starts peeling after a short time and then you have to peel the junk off & re-paint it. Plus, it collects dirt/wax/oil and then the coloring is uneven, plus it fades quickly in the sun. I'll never waste my time/ money on it again. Just paint it right the first time. Also as a note, it says on the can that after a few months it may become permantley bonded to the surface, so then you're stuck with the junk.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 PM
XjldX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
i think the stuff sucks, its only good if your not sure you want a permanent paint job. But it's hard to spray even and it usually wears off and starts peeling after a short time and then you have to peel the junk off & re-paint it. Plus, it collects dirt/wax/oil and then the coloring is uneven, plus it fades quickly in the sun. I'll never waste my time/ money on it again. Just paint it right the first time. Also as a note, it says on the can that after a few months it may become permantley bonded to the surface, so then you're stuck with the junk.
It's proven otherwise on all accounts for me, I've always had great results. But, I'm sure it's subjective.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:30 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
You must have done some stuff wrong. This stuff is very forgiving and doesn't just peel off on it's own.

The following users liked this post:
IronAK (04-14-2016)

Quick Reply: The Plasti-Dip Thread