Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII EFI rant

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:50 AM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCIII EFI rant

about a year ago I swore I'd never own another new HDbecause of all the epa efi bs. Well I should've listened to myself...but since I didn't I'm now elbow deep in this mess of wiring trying to install my pciii on an 06 fxdbi. I've got the pciii half assed velcro'd to the bottom of the ecm and i think that will be ok but...
question: where are you supposed to leave those huge connectors?I have enough problems shovingall the wires behind my computer, nevermind shovingall that crap into a 4x5" opening which is already full of crap.The instructions say to zip tie them to the front of the electrical panel...yeah right. Maybe if they wouldn't have pictures in the instructions that were taken with a cell phone camera and then faxed and photocopied, I'd be able to see what the hell they're talking about. I don't see how there's enough room there, given the short piece of wiring they include with the pciii. Right now I just feel like shoving everything in and bolting it back up but I know i'd pinch a wire and then be even more pissed off.

another thing...does the moco intentionally crossthread the 02 sensors into the pipes so you can't mess with them easily? Idiots. The rear one was fine but they tightened the front one with an impact i think (at an angle)
oh the good old days of rejetting instead of reprogramming with computers...rant off.
thanks for any help btw

Old 12-30-2006, 02:08 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,112 Likes on 2,120 Posts
Default RE: PCIII EFI rant

ORIGINAL: haksaw

about a year ago I swore I'd never own another new HD
.................................................. ..................................
SERT

mud

Old 12-30-2006, 02:32 AM
akflyer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed a PCIII in my FXDBI. It is very tight, and I had to try several different ways of routing the extra cable before it would fit. I finally got it worked out, and it runs great. I would say just keep after it and you will make it work. The map that Fuel Moto put in mine is fine, so I did not need to dyno it right now. I also just had the recall flash done (mine is an 07) and it worked great with the PCIII.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:44 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Have to agree with both above statements.. Yes, it is a PITA, but it can be done.....

That is wh the SERT is so nice.....

BTW, Why did you remove the o2's?????

Did you heat them prior to removing them?????

Old 12-30-2006, 02:51 AM
Babe
Advanced

Forget putting it under the ECM. I found that by moving the various bits of wiring around situated between the caddy and battery box, the PC III can be suspended vertically in the remaining space under the seat, and it's easy to remove for access to the USB port.
I also had a similar problem with the O2 plugs, one cross-threaded and one finger tight!

Old 12-30-2006, 02:53 AM
akflyer
Advanced

I put mine under the ECM like it apeared in the directions, but also left a USB cable in that I zip tied and routed up under the seat so it is easy to remap.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:10 AM
haksaw
Road Master

unfortunately the sert isn't an option at this point since i already bought the pciii. I'll get it to work but man is it frustrating.

I was going to remove the 02 sensors and put them in my new pipes just to fill the holes but i decided to just disconnect them, leave them in the stock pipes and just put bolts in the bungs on the new pipes.
(mines an 06, the pciii has the sensor eliminators)

Old 12-30-2006, 04:45 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My pc III is just tucked under the seat, so you can get to it, and yes the big connectors are supposed to be used.......

You CAN convert back to carburetor....local guy in Minot did that to his Road King. Of course, you have buy alot of crap from the MOCO or eBay to do the swap. If I could do over again, I would have bought the carb biike sitting next to mine in the dealership 18 months ago. If I hadn't done all the money to my EFI, I would convert...plenty of guys that have the carb model, that will swap for the EFI.....

Joe

Old 12-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

It WILL fit. Just takes persistance. If you remove the two torx boltds on the fuse box side, the fuse box can be slid out a bit freeing up lots of space to place the connectors and the PCIII.

I opted to not put the PCIII module directly under the seat as suggested by some here. If you add a tail light conversion kit or other lighting/electrical accessories that have relays and connectors, most of them utilize that space. Leave the USB cable coiled behind the fuse box cover. Makes it convenient when you want to remap

Why not use the O2 eliminators and just leave the sensors in place?

Old 12-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Psycho
Road Master

I honestly didn't really have much trouble with mine. I originally installed it under the ecm, and it fit and worked fine. I don't remember where I put the plugs, but I don't remember it being that big of a deal either. Seems like maybe they are sort of tucked in behind the rear cylinder, between it and the ecm. Seems like maybe I zip tied them to something back there to keep them away from that rear cylinder heat. I later moved the PCIII under the seat for easier access to the USB port for programming, and I don't remember that being much trouble either.

Like someone else here already said, I really wish I had opted for the carb model at times just because I'm a bit more of an old fashioned purist and like to tinker. However, it was a choice between a five speed and carb, or six speed and efi and I wanted that six speed.

That having been said, I've never really experienced the trouble that others have described with the efi. I only installed the PCIII to compensate for the change in airflow with the aircleaner and pipe upgrade. I didn't have any driveability problems before or after. It's always performed and run great.

Quick Reply: PCIII EFI rant