Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobra exhaust? Are they good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Steel Steed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cobra exhaust? Are they good?

I'm shopping for new system for my Wide Glide, and love the drag pipe look. But, I want the best performance I can get from them. These Cobra Dragsters look good to me because they're extra long how I like.
The thing is, I've never heard of Cobra. Is this a good company? Do they make a good product? Are these good pipes for performance when compared to the stock pipes or other drag style pipes? How wide are the heat shields?
I know V&H makes a good product, but their pipes don't look as long though the V&H website says they're 2 1/2" heat shields.
I have the V&H straight shot slip on's now, but can't get the heatsheilds to line up perfectly with the muffler and it drives me nuts.
Comments, suggestions?

Cobra Dragsters

V&H Straightshots

Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM
j14woods
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I had Cobra's on my last bike and they were great. Cobra makes some good stuff.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Spud17
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had them on my bike when I first got it, they are a great pipe, Heat shields are really good and nice chroming on them. The only reason why I got rid of the was because i bought black pipes. Only thing is for being called drag pipes they are not that loud. They are pretty loud but not like short shot loud.

here is a pic of my bike with the cobras on them

Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Steel Steed
Road Captain

Did you run baffles? Are the pipes more free flowing than the stock pipes? Was the performance good? Do you still have them, and are you selling them?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 AM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

Cobra USA has been around for at least 20 years. I haven' seen the Dragsters inperson. The standard baffles that come in them are at least as loud as V&H standard baffles marbe a little louder, too loud for me.
I went with the Speedsters because they have a built-in crossover like the big shots and they extend to the end of the swing arm. I also bought the quiet core baffles. I had V&H straight shot slip-on's with quiet baffles and I could feel the mid range power difference was much better on my bike.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Steel Steed
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skip3406
Cobra USA has been around for at least 20 years. I haven' seen the Dragsters inperson. The standard baffles that come in them are at least as loud as V&H standard baffles marbe a little louder, too loud for me.
I went with the Speedsters because they have a built-in crossover like the big shots and they extend to the end of the swing arm. I also bought the quiet core baffles. I had V&H straight shot slip-on's with quiet baffles and I could feel the mid range power difference was much better on my bike.
Good info, thanks!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 734 Likes on 407 Posts

I've got the same Speedsters as skip3406 on my 09 FXDC. They were on the bike when I got it--original owner installed them when the bike was relatively new. The chrome is still in very good (I can't see any flaws in them at all) and I think they sound great.

I actually like the look of the Dragsters more than the Speedsters.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Eagleman06
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them on my bike with the baffles still in and they are a little loud. The chrome looks nice mine has a small spot that it is missing, not sure what happened they were on the bike when I bought it.
I asked my wife if I should remove the baffles because my friends bike is louder and she told me not to. I already have to roll it down the driveway and halfway to the first intersection to start it(glad its downhill). My son will wake up he hears it, most of the time my wife still knows what time I left.

Not sure of the quaility of V&H on just pipes,it was junk on both my Buell's cans!

Last edited by Eagleman06; 04-11-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cobra does alot with the JAP bikes, I had them on my Suzuki intruder and they were really nice pipes, good chrome. Mine were slash cuts and others riding with me always said they were loud enough to know I was there, but not too loud they didn;t want to ride on the right side of me.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Skip,
Does the back pipe get in the way of the oil cap? It looks like it is sitting right above it. I like the look of the Speedster Longs, but I am not sure about the interference of the back pipe and the oil cap.

Quick Reply: Cobra exhaust? Are they good?