Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes on!- sticky throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 AM
scottystreetbob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apes on!- sticky throttle

I finally got my 14inch apes on 2007 street bob with help from my buddy and only problems we have are throttle stuck, does not snap back into place unless its fully engaged. Lubed it up the cables are loose along the bike moving them just made the throttle tighter, theres veryvery little slack on throttle and idle cable my buddy replaced them number of times he says its good on the butterfly, Does it just need to get wore in?There were heated grips on the old bars maybe there phucked with the grips? I got a 14in burley kit! thanks boys- pics will come soon!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Dustdevil21
Cruiser

The little friction **** under the throttle get tightned in the process of reinstall?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 AM
DTDK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, could be the cables are not just right in the tracks of the grip, or throttle housing, could be that they are adjusted wrong, could be that the two cables are twisted some where.

Also check to make sure that the throttle grip can spin freely on the handle bar when you dont have any cables hooked to it, and it is not in the housing, I had one once that had the slightest little drag on it and it would not snap back to throttle off. A little sanding later and it worked perfectly.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There is a spring on the side of the throttle body that is there to close the butterfly ... is it properly installed and seated ...? The spring tension should help snap the throttle back unless there is drag in some of the assembly ... as mentioned above ....

Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Big Kev-O
Advanced

Same thing happen to me when I switched from the factory mini apes to 12" aftermarket. Turned out that when I moved the controls up 2" the cables tightened because I straightened the bends, so when I loosened the adjuster the throttle starting "snapping" back as it should. The cables did not seem like they were too tight but sure enough just tiny bit over snug creates a sticky throttle. Try loosening the cable adjuster on cable which is closest to you when you are sitting on the bike. If you didn't know the adjusters are located on the cables under the rubber cover just down from the controls. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Big Kev-O; 04-09-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:48 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

same thing when I replaced my grips. Turned out i'd simply tightened the housing down a tad too much. backed the housing screws out a quarter turn and all was good.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

mine squeeks and its driving me insane haha.....ill get it sorted out this week...gotta get the bike ready for the river run.... 16 more days!!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

same thing happen to me and it turned out to be that i had the idle cable adjuster was to tight. so the throttle wouldnt snap back. once i backed off the idle cable adjuster a little the throttle would snap back one twisted.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are your apes powder coated , if so sand off powder coating

Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Froggyfatbob
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely it's friction from the bars.

Quick Reply: Apes on!- sticky throttle