Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the rain..........

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012 | 10:42 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

There were days back in the 60's and 70's, where i didn't OWN a vehicle, just a bike. If i wanted to go anywhere i rode it...lol. I had this sportster that i extended the forks 6" and didn't run a front fender. Well, that set up made the water go exactly right between my eyes! If I turned my head to the side, it would run right down the back of my neck. It sucked, but like i said, if i wanted to go anywhere, I rode it.

Later on after I was able to afford to buy additional vehicles, if it was forcasted to rain, I'll drive my truck. Now, the way traffic is in so. cal., if it's forcasted to rain, the crazies will no doubt get crazier, so I always drive my truck. It's a self-defense thing.

I really don't give a **** if that doesn't make me a true "biker" in the eyes of someone else. I had a corvette for few years a while back and i didn't run it in the rain on purpose either. Those cars perform wonderfully when it's dry but when it's raining and wet, they slide all over the place.

Old 04-08-2012 | 11:21 AM
Gaffy52
|
Road Master

"I really don't give a **** if that doesn't make me a true "biker" in the eyes of someone else. I had a corvette for few years a while back and i didn't run it in the rain on purpose either. Those cars perform wonderfully when it's dry but when it's raining and wet, they slide all over the place."

+1 on that

Old 04-08-2012 | 11:38 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

In the Pacific NW riding in the rain is a everyday thing..

Old 04-08-2012 | 12:58 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pointman10
In the Pacific NW riding in the rain is a everyday thing..

No doubt, in that climate it's a regular thing and if i wanted to ride, i would be riding in the rain. I have a sister in Tehama, Wash. and another in Canby, Oregon and know full well what you are saying. That's how it is up there.
Here in megalopolis so. california though, the drivers are mostly not even licensed anymore. It's crazy even when it's dry here, they have zero consideration for motorcycles. I think they even speed up in the rain. If it were to ever snow here, it would be grid lock as no one would know what to do.

Old 04-08-2012 | 02:09 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior

I don't ride in the rain. Period. I think it sucks. It pisses me off. At 57, I don't do things that suck nor do I hang out with people who suck or who gimme brain damage. Life is too short. I ride for fun. I commute with a 2011 5.0 Roush Mustang GT. I'll ride that MFer in the rain all daylong. Just sayin'...

Old 04-08-2012 | 07:32 PM
Nightglidr
Advanced

Seams like everytime I go visit my brother ( 500 miles away), I run into a day of rain and cold and driving winds. Fact of life out in the prairies, where he lives. Getting older made me wiser, so now I wear weather proof gear, ( boots, pants, jacket and gloves). Synthetic kevlar type stuff. I Also carry a heated vest, which helps my back in the cold dampness, had to rest my hands on the headers to keep fingers from freezing a few times, now I installed heated grips ( haven't tried those yet).
Still wear my leathers in town and short day runs, but carry other rain gear on the bike, just in case.
Nice thing about synthetics is that I don't have to stop and gear up if I hit rain, I just keep on riding. If your dry, it's easier to stay warm. Electric vest really dose make a difference, it allows me to ride all day in 40 degree weather.
I will pull off the road if its raining so hard that you can't see very far ahead. I don't want to get rear ended by a car or truck because they didn't see me.

Old 04-08-2012 | 07:40 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

I have ridden in ALL kinds of weather to include rain,hail,snow,freezing rain and black ice, but I also didn't have a car.Now that I have my own car I find it increasingly difficult to will myself to ride in the rain or in sub freezing temps.With the price of gas rapidly approaching 5$ a gallon I will bundle up and take off in anything above freezing.I see heated gloves in my future.

Old 04-08-2012 | 08:08 PM
Piedmont
Intermediate

I'll ride in any temperature as long as there isn't anything frozen on the road. Rain and cold is another matter. If it's below about 50 and raining I'm in the truck. The Gerbings were the best investment for extending the season but I haven't used them in the rain. Might have to put a pair of rubber gloves over 'em!

Old 04-08-2012 | 09:17 PM
marines267
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gaffy52
Hi - not ashamed to admit that I am a fair weather rider these days. Now being 56 and with all that chrome and lace wheels I hate getting my much loved Street Bob wet and dirty, not to mention getting myself cold and wet. When I was younger I rode in all weathers including snow and ice - but these days I am of the opinion that its got to be 'fun' if I am going to dot it!

Just wondering how many other feel this way............
I don't have a choice if I want to go to work and it is raining out I have to ride in it. And it goes the same for the cold I have rode in 32 degree weather. I have started out my day at 85 degrees a hour later it was 32 and a hour after that it was so hot I had to take off my coat

Old 04-08-2012 | 09:52 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

I actually prefer a light rain to hot sun. I have no problems in the rain.

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain..........