Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the rain..........

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012 | 07:42 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior

I generally don't leave home in the rain but won't let a chance of it keep me in. I agree that riding should be fun but in FL you're gonna get caught in the wet stuff sooner or later. Cold doesn't bother me as long as the roads are clear and I have the right gear on.

I hate laced wheels and replaced them on my SB with cast mags. I don't add chrome and don't worry about a bit of mud or waterspotting on the bikes. I only do a "full wash" once or at most twice a year - the rest of the time it's a *****'s bath - wipe the critical spots with a soapy rag, rinse with a clean rag, dry, and go for the next ride.

Old 04-08-2012 | 07:44 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master

Yeah Gaffy i'll be 63 in a few days and I don't like to ride in the rain because of all the cleaning i'll have to do when i get home. Not afraid to ride in the rain it is a different experience than when it's dry, but prefer not to.

Old 04-08-2012 | 07:56 AM
Billyram
Tourer

My bike is my daily ride so it gets wet sometimes and a bit easier to wash than my truck.
Billy

Old 04-08-2012 | 07:58 AM
O.F.
Road Master

My first bike had no front fender and it was my DD. That was enough rain to last me a lifetime!

Old 04-08-2012 | 08:41 AM
sonnydaze
Road Master

i used to ride in rain snow and ice . had motorcycle as only transportation for about 10 years , now i usually wont leave in the rain but this is texas , it does not rain that much

Old 04-08-2012 | 08:58 AM
hddan502
Road Master

I always seem to get caught in thunderstorms. I will not leave in the rain, but what happens when out riding, happens.

Old 04-08-2012 | 09:02 AM
Gaffy52
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Theatan
Is that StreetBob supposed to be Real World Transportation or a decadent novelity piece?
A 'decadent novalty peice' of course bought and paid for with cash - however I will add that, like others, I don't deliberately start out in the rain, but won't turn back if it starts later - and cleaning my 'decadent novalty peice' I still find quite therapeutic too!

Old 04-08-2012 | 09:06 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member

Like a lot of older riders, I usually don't start out in the rain, although if out riding and get caught up in the rain, I don my rain-gear.

Like some others I also check the radar systems to see where the bad weather cells are throughout the state and or the route of travel.

Then the old game of playing tag (beat) with the rain clouds comes into practice.

I enjoy the rain during the heat of summer when riding.

I don't enjoy the crazy/distracted drivers or the road conditions when it rains.

You all know, all to well that it is not the in-tuned/astute motorcycle riders that you have to be aware of, it is the haphazard cagers that are so oblivious to all others around them, in their chariots of death (rolling phone-booths), whatever you want to call them. That pose a liability to those who choose the openness of riding in the wind/rain.

Last edited by SteveO-ll; 04-08-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2012 | 09:10 AM
stilup
Road Warrior

Last riding season I rode every single day till November, then I picked and choose the days and rode through the cold season at least every 2 weeks so that the gas never got old on me.
This season was the one not to put it away.
I rode through some fierce rain storms just to say that I could and I did get recognized as a rider. It was a learning experience and ended up purchasing some all weather gear.
Good experience but this year I will try not to ride in floods or tornadoes.
I too am climbing in years at 57 but still am very young at heart.

Old 04-08-2012 | 10:23 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member

I used to live in the pacific northwest where it seems to rain 11 months of the year. Lol! It rained pretty dam hard at times and I found that it really didn't matter how protected against the rain I thought I was, I always got wet. I never rode in the rain on purpose but it wasn't uncommon for it to start pissing down on me part way through a ride.

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain..........