Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV and o2 sensors.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM
cursedspirit
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCV and o2 sensors.

So I go to the dealer and talk with guy that seems to know a bit about the pcv and he tells me with my set up I need to remove my o2 sensors from my pipes to get the true benifit of the map I have loaded on my pcv. I wanted to get some feedback from the forums before I take my o2 sesors out of mt pipes. I have bung caps and plug caps so I dont throw any codes. Has anyone else taken ther o2 sensors out?

Thanks in advance.
Spec in sig....

Old 04-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Standard thing to do with a PC. Should have come with some O2 eliminator plugs to go in the harness where you unplug the sensors.

Thing is, the PC is a piggy-back unit that fits between the ECU and the injectors. If the O2 sensors were still in-play then they would read the richness that the PC introduces and feed this to the ECU, which would tend to try to undo the changes the PC was making, giving an incorrect air/fuel ratio.

The plus side is that all PCs, regardless of the bike model, can be setup in the same way, without needing to know the bike's ECU. This is obviously handy for the tuning engineer. However, having to remove a major self-adjusting component of the bike is the reason that I think there are better tuning solutions than a PC available.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:23 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

Are you asking about physically removing the 02 sensors from the pipe? That's what it sounds like to me. If that is what you mean, then there is no reason to do so.

The 02 sensors should have been unplugged when the PCV was installed and are therefore inoperative anyway.

Physically removing them is not necessary. They are simply functioning as a plug.

Who installed your PCV - if it was someone other than yourself did they do it correctly by disconnecting the 02 sensors?

Last edited by 2black1s; 04-07-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:40 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I left mine in and even have the wires still on them, they just aren't hooked up. i have them routed so they are safe from burning, etc and they look like they are still operable...I live in CA. They (PC) give you little wire-looking things to stick in the ends of the wires. I hope moisture doesn't become an issue with them lying there with just those little wire things but so far, so good.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 PM
ncfatbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a couple of PCVs and it's probably better to remove the O2 sensor/cable/connector and put a plug in the exhaust bung. If you decide to go back it's easy and you don't run the risk of fouled/rusted connectors. The plugs are $5 each at any harley dealer.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM
HDHornet
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed my PCV I disconedted the O2 sensors from the ECU. Not sure why you would need plugs if they aren't connected to anything. Can some one explain the reason for the plugs?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

when I did mine i went with short shots and just used the plugs and the wire things that came with the PCV

Old 04-08-2012, 01:20 AM
cursedspirit
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well just got done removing the o2 sensors and plugging the bungs, also put the eliminators on the end caps of the wires. I did the power commandor about a year ago and dont recall anything about removing the o2 sensors. I will give it a ride tomorrow and hope to see a different.
Thanks for the info all.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:32 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HDHornet
When I installed my PCV I disconedted the O2 sensors from the ECU. Not sure why you would need plugs if they aren't connected to anything. Can some one explain the reason for the plugs?
You mean the plugs that go into the harness where the O2 sensors used to be? Without them the ECU thinks the O2 sensors have gone faulty and throws a code, also it puts the bike into limp-home mode with a conservative tune and timing.

On the physically remove/don't remove issue...If you never intend to go back then its fine. However, if you leave the O2 sensors in unpowered then they will be damaged, so you would have to buy a new set if you ever removed the PowerCommander.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:05 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
there is no reason to do so.
The 02 sensors should have been unplugged when the PCV was installed and are therefore inoperative anyway. Physically removing them is not necessary. They are simply functioning as a plug.
Agreed!
I removed mine, but didnt have to. Only reason I did is to try and improve exhaust flow.
But, As mentioned above, if ur PC is installed correctly your bike should already be running correctly.

Quick Reply: PCV and o2 sensors.