Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV and o2 sensors.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
You mean the plugs that go into the harness where the O2 sensors used to be? Without them the ECU thinks the O2 sensors have gone faulty and throws a code, also it puts the bike into limp-home mode with a conservative tune and timing.

On the physically remove/don't remove issue...If you never intend to go back then its fine. However, if you leave the O2 sensors in unpowered then they will be damaged, so you would have to buy a new set if you ever removed the PowerCommander.
If we totally remove the o2's and plug them, and then the PCV fails, we're screwed aren't we? I mean in the event of a failure of the pcv, we just reconnect the o2's to the harness and go back to a stock setting is my understanding. However, if I will ruin my o2's by keeping them on there disconnected, they are about $250 to replace is what i heard. So while waiting for new pcv or going new auto-tune, I'm dead in the water AND will need to buy new o2's to boot?

I may be overthinking this, but I left the wires on only because I'm in CA., i didn't know, but assumed, if i get pulled over a ticket may ensue because I've disabled the o2's. Yes, they are disabled either way but with wires still on they appear to be functional. Am i talking out my *** on this point? It's all now clear as mud that the prudent choice would be to take them out, plug them and when/if the PCV fails, tow it home and put the o2's back on until a new tuner comes. Foxter, is that what you are suggesting we do?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FBinSoCal
If we totally remove the o2's and plug them, and then the PCV fails, we're screwed aren't we? I mean in the event of a failure of the pcv, we just reconnect the o2's to the harness and go back to a stock setting is my understanding. However, if I will ruin my o2's by keeping them on there disconnected, they are about $250 to replace is what i heard. So while waiting for new pcv or going new auto-tune, I'm dead in the water AND will need to buy new o2's to boot?

I may be overthinking this, but I left the wires on only because I'm in CA., i didn't know, but assumed, if i get pulled over a ticket may ensue because I've disabled the o2's. Yes, they are disabled either way but with wires still on they appear to be functional. Am i talking out my *** on this point? It's all now clear as mud that the prudent choice would be to take them out, plug them and when/if the PCV fails, tow it home and put the o2's back on until a new tuner comes. Foxter, is that what you are suggesting we do?
I might have been talking out my **** before . I assumed that the sensors would be the newer heated sensors but just checked the wiring diagram and they are single-wire sensors. This means they don't get heated by an internal heater and so don't get ruined by being unpowered.

My bad .

Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
I might have been talking out my **** before . I assumed that the sensors would be the newer heated sensors but just checked the wiring diagram and they are single-wire sensors. This means they don't get heated by an internal heater and so don't get ruined by being unpowered.

My bad .
Oh cool, thank you. Those sensors (at least on the fld) are a bitch to get to. I'd hate to have to drop the pipes just to reconnect the o2's in the event my pcv falied. Probably have to take the header pipes off to get to them both. One is accessible, the other is snookered in there pretty good.

Are the little wire things (don't know the proper terminology for them) ok to keep those wires from corroding or do i need to also wrap them with something, if so what? Tape, special grease?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 AM
cursedspirit
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The o2 on the top pipe 2010 SB short shots was a b$tch to get out had to pull the heat shield to get a bit more room. For the wires there is a end cap you can get to plug the. If you are talking the wire harness i guess any good waterproof tape would work. The one under my voltage regulater tucked into a clip harness and the other plug is under the bike benith the seat tucked away.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I've got a bit of a curve ball....I was running XIED's but just made the swap to the PCV over the weekend. I started her up and she chugged and struggled a little bit. After a few seconds a loud POP noise and small amount of dust (or smoke) came from the front of the engine right around where the bottom pipe connects. After the pop, the the bike started up. I turned it off immediately because the noise didn't sound good. I inspected the area and saw no visual issues and started the bike up a few more times just fine.

Upon further inspection, I saw that the o2 eliminator plug is missing. It's almost as if air pressure built up and shot the plug off (which doesn't make much sense). The plug is nowhere to be found, it must have shot halfway across my parking lot.

Anyway, no codes were thrown, I took the bike out for a soft ride around the neighborhood and no issues. Currently I'm running the PCV with one o2 eliminator plug. I'll probably end up getting another plug, but in the meantime is this a problem? Does anyone know what the "pop" sound could have been? I somehow don't think it was the o2 sensor flying off...

Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

You really don't have to remove the O2/IED combo to work with the PCV. If it's tuned right it works flawlessly and gets better gas mileage. I have done 2 bikes like that and they both ran fine.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:45 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

F-king Harley...I went to my local dealership and they looked at me like I was talking Spanish. They had no idea what an o2 eliminator was.

From what I've read in this thread, it seems like the sensors don't matter much either way. Should I:

A) say "F it" and run as is- with one o2 eliminator under the seat
B) leave both of the wires unplugged
C)plug both of the wires back in
D) any other idea?

Keep in mind I had the map pre-loaded by Fuel Moto and it came with eliminators so I'm wondering if plugging the stock connectors back in would throw anything off?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
D) any other idea?

Keep in mind I had the map pre-loaded by Fuel Moto and it came with eliminators so I'm wondering if plugging the stock connectors back in would throw anything off?
Answer D = call fuel moto in the morning and let them talk you through it all. You will be smiling in no time flat! I think those 02 sensors are aquireing wear and tear, so if it's no big deal remove them in case you need a set down the line. I know the ne power vision requires 02 sensors.

Last edited by maddghost; 04-16-2012 at 06:15 PM.