Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting a Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Sidewind75
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a Tuner

Good Morning everyone. I am a new Harley owner and got an 04 dyna superglide that already had SE II exhaust and High Flow A/C. I have been reading how people have bought a tuner and improved there bikes performance. I would like to do this but not entirely sure what exactly it details, witch one is good. Can it dammage my bike? Also if i do get a tuner I will not be able to do a dyno right away so would it still be worth doing.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It would seem that the dynojet power vision is the way to go these days. Contact Jamie at fuelmoto for pricing. You won't need a dyno with one of these babies! And it will adapt to any future mods you do!! http://www.fuelmotousa.com/powervision.htm

Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree the PowerVision is up there at the moment but wonder if its really best for a pre-'07 (no O2 sensor) bike. Without O2 sensors you aren't going to get the best out of it.

PowerCommander III might be a good bet.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

I'll ask the dumb question. Tuners are for EFI models. Didn't the 04's still have carbs?

Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaster
I'll ask the dumb question. Tuners are for EFI models. Didn't the 04's still have carbs?
DOH ..........my bad!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EFI was always an option since 1996 The first production Harley-Davidson to have fuel injection was the 30th anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Classic in 1995.

Last edited by thedonthere; 04-06-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If you truly want to tune an older EFI bike, I would start with new pipes. You can get a set of pipes with o2 bungs for a newer bike, yes they will fit, or you can have bungs welded into your pipes.

Then I would go with a ThunderMax or another Autotuner so you do not have to worry about Dyno tuning.

In my personal opinion having a tuner on a street bike that requires a Dyno to get it right is a waste of money, time, and effort, unless you are never planning on changing any of the components that would change the tune.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 PM
KevenW
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been trying to figure out what to get for mine also......... everybody says this one or that one is better and some say not to use them.... very frustrating!

Old 04-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KevenW
i've been trying to figure out what to get for mine also......... everybody says this one or that one is better and some say not to use them.... very frustrating!
Thing is, there isn't one answer. Depends how much you want to spend, how much time you want to put into it and how much you care about the tune.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 AM
snstiggy
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
If you truly want to tune an older EFI bike, I would start with new pipes. You can get a set of pipes with o2 bungs for a newer bike, yes they will fit, or you can have bungs welded into your pipes.

Then I would go with a ThunderMax or another Autotuner so you do not have to worry about Dyno tuning.

In my personal opinion having a tuner on a street bike that requires a Dyno to get it right is a waste of money, time, and effort, unless you are never planning on changing any of the components that would change the tune.
They make o2 port plugs that screw in,$14.00 from HD.
I'm also curious on the tuner since i have the 04-05 EFI without o2 sensors...Thundermax?

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a Tuner