Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*2012 tarnished primary cover!@##$%!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Bone11B
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paul s
http://www.s100.com/ i've been using s100 for years and it's good stuff..
x2 yup

Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIKERBABE911
Ok boys I really need your help!! I have a brand new 2012 red switchback that I love!

I washed it and now what I thought was chrome (at least that is what the dealership told me!) looks completely tarnished!! It tarnished all my covers but the pipes are fine. So what happened?!? Are those covers not made of chrome?

Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying all new covers? I'm so upset!!
Bummer. a good reason my FLD hasn't seen soap or cleaners in it's entire life so far. I wipe it down and then use a spray on quick detail wax by mother's. For my polished aluminum, I use master formula metal gloss and sealer gloss: http://master-formula.com/index.html

It's a two step process, one for cleaning the other for sealing. I found it at the Long Beach Swap meet for $20 for both bottles. After using Flitz, I found this to be very long lasting and effective. Cases still look new and it's been 5 months now since last application. It took me about 2 hours to do them all using only my own elbow grease and that product.

Last time I saw a thread on aluminum polishes, the Mother's seemed to be the most recommended. I wouldn't toss them just because they are ugly right now, I'd clean them... but that's your call obviously. So what if the film goes away too? If you seal them after polishing, you will be fine.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Simple Green will do the same thing to polished aluminum. They now have a cleaner specifically for aluminum. I have some and it works great.
The suggestion to use the S100 to fix your issue is a good one.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:08 PM
cecharles
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Many replies, some good, some not so good. Typical of most any problem discussed here.

Here's my take. Sorry to say, but anything you do that stops short of removing the factory protective coating and the polishing the aluminum is not going to work. The cleaner you used has etched, stained, and dulled the clear protective coating and you'll be very lucky to eliminate the defects with any method short of removing the coating.

Those replies recommending replacement with chrome covers are probably the amongst the best replies. Aluminum is a pain in the *** to keep looking nice.
I've been using Mother's Aluminum polish and a mini power ball on my '01 FXD since the second year I had it. That clear protective coat will dull anyway and I've had people mistake my covers for being chrome after I polished them and I don't even use a sealer. I give it one good polish in the Spring and one or two touch ups the rest of the summer.
Going out and replacing the covers with chrome ones will run you $1K even if you do it yourself. A dealer doing it will be at least $1.5K so I think buying some aluminum polish and a six pack on a free afternoon is well worth it. You can even go all nuts and get the two step stuff that FBinSoCal suggested.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,793 Likes on 2,537 Posts

When I had the POLISHED aluminum cases on my FXD i used the Mothers alum. polish with elbow grease, bare alum. will dull by itself over time, it's called oxidation. After I polished the stains or dullness out i applied StarBrite aluminum boat polish on the cases and that will also seal the surface. I've used Shout laundry cleaner 50/50 with water and my polished rims/wheels for the last 5 years and no problems, a very mild cleaner. You've got a job ahead you.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cecharles
I've been using Mother's Aluminum polish and a mini power ball on my '01 FXD since the second year I had it. That clear protective coat will dull anyway and I've had people mistake my covers for being chrome after I polished them and I don't even use a sealer. I give it one good polish in the Spring and one or two touch ups the rest of the summer.
Going out and replacing the covers with chrome ones will run you $1K even if you do it yourself. A dealer doing it will be at least $1.5K so I think buying some aluminum polish and a six pack on a free afternoon is well worth it. You can even go all nuts and get the two step stuff that FBinSoCal suggested.
Hey Charlie, what's a mini power ball? I would assume an attachment for a drill? I remember some kinda thing like that from flitz...same trip?
On the mother's polish...I have probably about 3 years before I'll run out of this other product before I can try it...lol
How is it to apply?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Jeffs386
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

go online and order a product called Heavy Metal Polish....its the best stuff I've ever used

Old 04-06-2012, 09:54 AM
cecharles
Tourer

Originally Posted by FBinSoCal
Hey Charlie, what's a mini power ball? I would assume an attachment for a drill? I remember some kinda thing like that from flitz...same trip?
On the mother's polish...I have probably about 3 years before I'll run out of this other product before I can try it...lol
How is it to apply?
Bob, The mini power ball is like you said an attachment to a drill motor. I use my cordless drill motor with it and it makes the job a little easier. The only drawback is that it's hard to use on some areas like the cam cover because of the exhaust so you have to go old school on some areas. But during maintenance work in the winter when I have the covers right off the bike, man it's nice to use that power ball. They have different sizes for different applications. I'm not saying Mother's makes the best stuff because that's all I've ever used and the two step stuff you use sounds interesting. Here's a link to their website so you can see all their products. It's easy for me to get it around here because all the auto parts stores stock their stuff.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05100-05101.html

Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

That is very true chrome is the best solution, I have polished wheels and forks on many bikes, what I really did is wipe them with a cloth w/windex every few days, they stay shinny the whole season, never had problem. When I put it in winter storage, I apply a thin coating of mother aluminum polish, it holds up pretty good.

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Many replies, some good, some not so good. Typical of most any problem discussed here.

Here's my take. Sorry to say, but anything you do that stops short of removing the factory protective coating and the polishing the aluminum is not going to work. The cleaner you used has etched, stained, and dulled the clear protective coating and you'll be very lucky to eliminate the defects with any method short of removing the coating.

Those replies recommending replacement with chrome covers are probably the amongst the best replies. Aluminum is a pain in the *** to keep looking nice.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

When you have aluminum covers, eventually you will have to polish them. Unfortunately for you, you "thought" you had chrome covers, AND you don't. Also, that "Awesome" crap somehow etched the finish on your faux chrome (ie: aluminum) cover(s). IF you are going to salvage the covers, you will have to use some elbow grease, I've also always had good luck with Mothers aluminum polishing products. Be prepared to have sore fingertips when your all done...Good Luck!