Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*2012 tarnished primary cover!@##$%!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 PM
BIKERBABE911
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw someone else talking about Mothers too. That must be good stuff? Hope I can get it back to what it was before!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Napoli
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoli
may be hard water residue
try salt water.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Nightglidr
Advanced
Default Awesome products

Originally Posted by BIKERBABE911
It might. It works so good on oil and bug guts! I've used it on my old bike and never had anything happen. So I kinda freaked!
That sucks, I would freak too. You may want to contact the manufacture of the product, show them some pictures and see what they recommend. It could be a simple fix. Just my 2 cents.
I would be worried about trying anything else on it now ( as it may have some reaction with the residue left on your engine cases.) and make matters worse for you.

How is the headlight nacelle? It's apparently made of Zamack,(sp) which could react the same way as the cases did.
Let us know how you make out with this please. Lots of luck. Cheers

Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Tough break man. Just a heads up...keep your eyes open in the classifieds if you want to replace your covers with real chrome ones. People sell chrome on here for dirt cheap because black is becoming so popular nowadays. The softail and touring bikes often use the same covers too. You should be able to find a fantastic deal. I was able to swap out my primary and rocker covers to chrome virtually for free because I resold my stock stuff!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 PM
GrovenSportster
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you read the instructions and warnings on the product label? That looks like what happens when you use a very strong surfactant on bare aluminum. Yeah, you've got some work ahead of you. I have a buddy that took the advice of a crack head and used Easy Off oven cleaner on his 3 month old bike's exhaust. He got some of it on his aluminum trans. cover and it is now permanently scarred. Tsk, tsk! I do not use heavy duty cleaner/degreasers or other extra strong cleaners on aluminum, chrome or painted surfaces.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this the cleaner you used?
http://www.awesome-cleaner.com/

Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.s100.com/ I've been using S100 for years and it's good stuff..

Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIKERBABE911
Ok boys I really need your help!! I have a brand new 2012 red switchback that I love!

I washed it and now what I thought was chrome (at least that is what the dealership told me!) looks completely tarnished!! It tarnished all my covers but the pipes are fine. So what happened?!? Are those covers not made of chrome?

Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying all new covers? I'm so upset!!
stop using acidic washing detergents

Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Here in Australia we have a polish simply called "Purple Polish" don't know if you guys have it there but it is fantastic stuff on chrome or alloy, I scratched my rocker cover once, used a bit of wet and dry then this polish and matches back up like new

Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, I can't believe HD put polished covers instead of chrome on the FLD but I'm not surprised. It's funny that the dealer tried to tell you they're chrome when it's really easy to tell the difference. You'll need to keep them polished or they'll look dull. I'd just drop the money on the chrome covers, not worth the hassle of polished aluminum.

Quick Reply: *2012 tarnished primary cover!@##$%!!