Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:29 PM
KevenW
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended warranty?

I bought my bike used last summer, it's an 09 but bought new april 6 2012. so, the factory warranty expires the 6 of this month. it's cheaper to extend the warranty before it expires, so should I? the starter went out the 2nd week I had the bike and the warranty covered it so I'm glad i still had one. I have no idea on the price of warranties so if anybody can give me an idea i'd appreciate that also. thanks.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thinking of doing the extended warranty also just because of all the electronic crap on the bike. Checked with the dealer, and it was around 1900.00 for a 5 year over and above the original 2 year. Includes road side assistance, towing, etc...

Old 04-04-2012, 03:51 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevenW
I bought my bike used last summer, it's an 09 but bought new april 6 2012. so, the factory warranty expires the 6 of this month. it's cheaper to extend the warranty before it expires, so should I? the starter went out the 2nd week I had the bike and the warranty covered it so I'm glad i still had one. I have no idea on the price of warranties so if anybody can give me an idea i'd appreciate that also. thanks.
You bought it April 6 2012? I guess you bought it in the future and should still have over 2 years to go on the warranty...

Anyway, I was under the impression you have to buy the warranty prior to the original expiring, I could be wrong there. My opinion is to buy prior to it expiring. However I’m not into warranties since they are too expensive and I think they're a money maker for the stealerships.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MADHOG
You bought it April 6 2012? I guess you bought it in the future and should still have over 2 years to go on the warranty...

Anyway, I was under the impression you have to buy the warranty prior to the original expiring, I could be wrong there. My opinion is to buy prior to it expiring. However I’m not into warranties since they are too expensive and I think they're a money maker for the stealerships.
As a frequent "typo artist" I figure the OP meant he bought it April 6 2010.

The dealer might waive the requirement to purchase before 2 yr warranty expires.

Sammi

Old 04-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the extended warranties were around 500-600 bucks I got them as they were a good selling point but now that the warranties are way up there......not anymore..

Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow you have a whole 2 days to make up your mind! I almost got the extended warranty because of all the issues mine had, but I realized it was all small stuff. Nothing major went wrong with it. When they quoted me 1500$ in 2008 I thought " woah they are out of their minds!!! " plus there is a deductable of 500$ so if it goes in it better be for a huge repair, and I took that gamble ----> No extended warranty for me.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:08 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Extended waranty deductable is $50 per trip to the shop.

If you put a lot of miles on your bike it is worth every penny.

If you don't ride a lot then it's not worth it.

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget the extended warranty. They are way expensive.

Regarding towing, the best towing deal around is AAA "Plus RV." With this, AAA will tow you up to 100 miles - no extra charge - will tow you up to 100 miles up to 12 times a year (once a month). I've had this done 2 times in the past 2 years. Saved a ton on towing.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Mr.Guns
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 5 or 6 year extended warranty with mine, for $1,500 when I bought the bike, then I read the fine print that any programmer other than SERT voids the warranty, so does installing my own exhaust system, and you have to keep meticulous records of maintenance. I cancelled it and got a prorated wad of cash back.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:01 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

f(y)k that, i dont buy an extended warranty for anything

Quick Reply: extended warranty?