Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fxdf rear brake troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 AM
busboyblues
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fxdf rear brake troubles

Hi, I'm having some trouble with my 2008 FXDF rear brakes, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight:

A few months after replacing the rear brake pads, I noticed that the brakes were very hard stopping, in other words, there was no sensitivity to them, it was either stop or go, no slowing down. I noticed that the paint was bubbled up on the rear master cylinder reservoir cap. I took of the cap, and the fluid was completely corrupted, it looked like there might have been a layer of water on there, and the fluid had a silvery, gray tint to it. I flushed and bled the brake lines with new fluid and replaced the gasket and cap. They still didn't feel right to me. When I took the bike for inspection at the dealership, I asked them to look at them. The tech who worked on my bike wasn't there when I picked it up and there were no remarks on the bill, but they billed me for 4/10ths of an hour, don't know if they just looked/tested them or what. They seemed okay for a couple of days, like they were more sensitive again, then yesterday, it was back to the hard stopping, and lack of sensitivity. I felt a kind of clicking feeling when I would press hard on them, and once when stopping on a steep hill, they felt like they were stuttering or jerking, or pulsing (don't know how to describe it.) So, I don't know what to do from here. I was hoping someone could shed some insight. Thanks for reading all of this!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 AM
JoeRock
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you flushed the lines and replaced gasket/cap, did you remove caliper from bike and collapse or push brake piston all the way into caliper. This process helps in a few ways, first it removes most, not all of the old fluid, but it also helps reset the pistons in the square seals. It is possible a bit of debris is causing the brake piston to hang up or protude at small angle which came make your brakes hang up, stick on, or also cause your "sensitive" feeling. Worst case senario, if your fluid was silvery/gray, you could have had water/moisture in there which could have corroded or pitted your piston. If you are still having problems I would suggest removing the caliper and checking your pistons. You might just get away with a good cleaning with denatured alcohol, replacing the square seals with piston lube (silicone grease) and should operate good as new. If the pistons are pitted or corroded, you will know right away upon inspection. They should be shiney "chrome" smooth. I'm just concerned about them due to your feeling about water in the lines.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 AM
busboyblues
Intermediate

Joe,
I did not remove the caliper. I will try and do what you advised...I think it may be above my level of competence, but my father in law is an ace mechanic so I'll ask him to help me with it. Thanks for your help. I'll repost with results.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 AM
JoeRock
Cruiser

Did the dealer confirm the new pads were installed correctly? Just don't want to see you dive further in than you need. If brakes were working properly up until you installed the pads...just another thought. Maybe you could tell us more about your bike. How many miles? Why did you decide to change rear pads? If low miles, and pads wore, maybe there is a reason for the worn pads. But need more info to help. I am sure your FIL will be able to help!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM
busboyblues
Intermediate

No, the dealer didn't tell me anything really. The guy working the service desk didn't know. I'm going to call and ask to speak to the tech, should have done that right away, but they felt like they were fine. My bike has just under 15.5k on it. We changed the brake pads when we put on new rear tire, because the pads were worn. Come to think of it, they haven't really felt totally proper since then, so maybe we did something wrong on the install. Just didn't question that part of it, since the FIL has done it hundreds of times...didn't want to rile up the big guy :-).

Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Froggyfatbob
Advanced

Did u happen to get any fluid on the pads while bleeding them. Fluid on pads or rotor may cause your problem also.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 AM
busboyblues
Intermediate

I don't think I did, but not positive. Will check that also. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 AM
busboyblues
Intermediate

Also, Froggy how do you like your 2012? Has a 103 engine vs. my 96, I believe, right? Been thinking about trading up my 2008 to a new one...

Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like you need to pull the caliper apart and clean her up real good and replace any worn parts

Old 04-04-2012, 12:18 PM
busboyblues
Intermediate

I'll give it a go. Thanks!