Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Decision/Frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:30 PM
danieldd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Decision/Frustrations

My glide is Silver and I want to paint it Blue. So, I got the PPG paint codes for the Impact Blue and the Luxury Blue colors. I thought these were the colors on the 2004 low rider and I wanted these cause I liked them. BTW, I went to the dealer to try and get these codes and they aren't even listed in their paint book! They had a number for the touch up paint only! Anyway, thought I was real smart, getting the HD codes off the PPG website and going down to the local auto paint store. I gave the guy the numbers, wanting to look at the color chips to verify this is what I wanted when he said they don't have the color chips for any of the HD paint codes. Apparently HD keeps this information confidential for some unknown reason. Okay then, I'll pick another blue, maybe a Chevy blue cobalt or indigo blue. Anybody know how to get around this problem and somehow get the color chips for the HD colors? I found a website listing some of the color chips, but as you all know, viewing them with a monitor does not represent the true color.

FYI, a quart of PPG color, clear, reducer and hardener costs approximately 300 bucks.

One other thing. I cannot find anything anywhere (and I looked!) that explains how to achieve a two color HD combo on the tank. What I mean is when you create the side panels (of a different color) on the tank sides like HD does, how exactly is that done? How big do you make the panels and how do you achieve a uniform line around the circumference of the panel, and more importantly, how do you make sure you get it symmetrically even on the opposite side?

Of course I could take it to a custom painter and spend major bucks - but I want to revel in the process of doing it myself. Any help along these lines would be welomed.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:05 PM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Painting Decision/Frustrations

Dan, the easiest way to spray the panel on the tank would be like this. (My opinion only)

- Spray sides of tank the color you want them first. Make sure you cover more area than you want (overlap)
- back tape the color for tank color. I have used another tank to get the layout, size of the design. use transfer tape and put on tank, draw out design and then measuer at key points, use the transfer tape to draw a reversed version for the other side, then just follow your measurements to replicat the other side. careful though. some gas tanks are the mirror opposites, so pick your measurements wisely.
- spray tank color, untape and take to a local painter/striper to have them pinstriped (cost effective). I have pinstriped, but if you don't do it everyday, it will show.

Of course, this is the short version of the approach, but you get the iddea here... or do you? Sometimes I think things that don't make it to my fingers to tell the story!!![:@]

Benji

Old 12-28-2006, 04:14 PM
danieldd
Cruiser

Thanks for the input Benji. I get the idea. Only problem is I either have to go to the HD dealer, find a bike and painstakingly make measurements of a tank panel on one of their showroom bikes (don't know if they're going to like this), or go down to the local biker hang out and measure one of their gas tanks. I think the latter decision would land me in the hospital.

Unless I can find a ready made stencil for the panel, I may have no other choice. Thanks again.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:15 PM
danieldd
Cruiser

BTW, like your bike. Did you do the paint?

Old 12-28-2006, 04:45 PM
lickmstickmman
Tourer

Thanx, and yes, I did it.... novice here. I worked with a buddy to show me the ropes, but did all the paint and graphics, he sprayed the blue and the clear for me... didnt trust myself using HoK Kandies!

About the shape of the side panel, thats what I did, went to a local bike shop ( I know the owner) and layed transfer tape on, traced it, took measures, then peeled it off with no danger of hurting anyones bike.

I will try and see if I still have the layout somewhere...

Old 12-28-2006, 04:55 PM
danieldd
Cruiser

Great! I don't know our dealer here good enough to lay paper on his bikes and trace the outline. Anything you got would be helpful. You can PM me if you like. Dan

Old 12-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you thought about just doing something custom instead of copying the stocker? Wouldn't have to worry about copying the stock specs.

I know if i was going through all that work I would want something original.

For what you are doing, it may be more cost effective to find a used set.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member

Are not most of the lines between the2 colors covered by a pinstripe ? That is usually how they "cover" or "mask" that line.

If you are spraying two colors, you can wet sand the colors prior to spraying any clear coats. This will knock down any edges while at the same time removing any imperfections in the paint (dust, orange peal, etc). Then apply your clear coat. If you know someone at a local car dealer, ask them who they use to pinstripe their cars as most dealers contract someone.

Good Luck

Old 12-29-2006, 12:53 AM
danieldd
Cruiser

Mascman - I thought of doing custom, but it appears to be alot of work. I have the book by JoAnn Bortles of Crazyhorse Painting. The book has many excellent custom ideas, but I believe you need to have a certain amount of finesse, experience and skill to do something custom. It will be much easier for me to achieve a two tone HD scheme - not too hard to do that. I'm getting my daughter and wife an airbrush this year for them to do my daughter's ice skating outfits. Maybe if they get good enough I'll let them do my helmet - maybe later on, they can help me do a custom paint job - for now I'll keep it simple.

Toyrider - Thanks for the advice. I figured the pinstripe would cover the transition between the two paints. All I need to do is get (make) a stencil for the traditional HD panel. Any of you guys have any experience with Sherwin Williams paint instead of PPG? I hear it is less expensive. Don't know anything other than that.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:39 AM
lickmstickmman
Tourer

Dan, you can customize your idea without having to have a whole lot of "extra" talent.

an example of one I did for a guy that wanted to not stray from the stock look he had before.

the fenders are at my website in the airbrushing section.

Benji

Quick Reply: Painting Decision/Frustrations