Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie exhaust gasket question??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012 | 03:26 PM
HDexplorer
|
Advanced
Red face Newbie exhaust gasket question??

So I have worked on cars and old Jeeps but never a Harley.

I bought a new set of Rinehart Crossbacks and in the process of mounting them on my 09' Fat Bob. I'm the second owner and it came with some crappy sounding SE slipons but factory tommy gun manifolds and a SE A/C, all of which, he told me, were installed by the dealer. I removed the old exhaust and I'm looking for the old exhaust gaskets. They don't appear to be any installed. This doesn't make any sense as I didn't smell or hear anything while driving last summer. There appears to be something there on the lip of the exhaust head opening but as I pick at it with a small screw driver it is metal like the head. Not sure if it is just the head itself. Are the factory gaskets metal in composition or did they put SE gaskets on? If so are they metal? The new gaskets appear to be very pliable, almost cork like and won't fit in all the way.

Sorry for the photo, not sure if it helps. I think the bike was running lean as it ran hot, lots of sot in the pipes, and sometimes wouldn't start right away.

Old 04-03-2012 | 03:29 PM
HDexplorer
|
Advanced
Default Oppps .. here is the photo....

Exhaust

Attached Thumbnails Newbie exhaust gasket question??-exhaust-gasket.jpg  
Old 04-03-2012 | 03:30 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

they are in there, they have to be pry'd out. if you have low miliage id just leave in and throw on the new pipes.....or pry em out and replace...its up to you.

Last edited by 07bobber; 04-03-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2012 | 03:34 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

this is a google search of what they look like.

http://www.google.com/search?q=harle...LojY0QGXi4mQBg

Old 04-03-2012 | 03:35 PM
HDexplorer
|
Advanced

The bike only has 4500 miles on it!

Old 04-03-2012 | 03:37 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

I have a set of small curved "pics" I use to get them out.

Old 04-03-2012 | 03:57 PM
HDexplorer
|
Advanced

Thanks for the quick replies. Love this forum! I have renewed confidence that they are still there so I'm of to the auto supply shop to find some sort of "pick"!

Old 04-03-2012 | 04:41 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

Originally Posted by HDexplorer
Thanks for the quick replies. Love this forum! I have renewed confidence that they are still there so I'm of to the auto supply shop to find some sort of "pick"!
If none there try a Radio Shack or a home improvement place. Mine have like screw driver handles on them. You should be able to find some in one of those places. Normally come in a set.

Old 04-03-2012 | 05:05 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

Any small screwdrir should get them out. You may have to tap the driver into the mesh at first but it will all come out basically in one piece and leave you with a nice clean surface for the new gaskets. From your pic it is obvious theyre in there! i think i picked my first ones out with a long nose plier.

Old 04-03-2012 | 05:30 PM
stilup
Road Warrior

Be careful installing the new ones, it's very delicate and can get damaged easy.
I made a tool with the contour and inserts it straight with no damage.
Carefully start it all around and gently press it in.
I had purchased the new copper type but didn't use them cause I didn't feel good about them and went to the dealer and got the Harley one's. The parts guy said the small copper one's have a tendency to leak.

Quick Reply: Newbie exhaust gasket question??