Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Glide Custom or Lowrider?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Georgia Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Glide Custom or Lowrider?

I decided between a SG Custom and an Low Rider in 06. Took the Low Rider because I liked the bars, highway pegs, and tach. I am 6'--put a Harley touring seat on and the riding position is good for me.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:06 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh yeah. I sit fine on the seat pictured below but when I bought a Sundowner for the wife's comfort as well as mine for longer trips. I needed to buy riding boots as I couldn't reach flat footed anymore. I don't consider myself that short. I'm 5'8"

Old 12-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior

Check out the difference the seat makes...

[IMG]local://upfiles/20253/ED762CA5F8BB409E8A7CCE50ED339AE1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

Either bikes ride would benifit greatly from a suspension upgrade.
Shorter shocks on the Lowrider don`t have to mean a harsher ride.
Quality is more important than quantity of suspension travel.
A set of Progressive Suspension 412 shocks can be had for a couple hundred bucks, fork springs even less.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:54 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LR sits about 1" lower from use of a shorter shock. If you're going to ride a lot, you'll want better shocks anyway. So no advantage there. You can lower the front end simply by moving the fork tubes up in the triple tree. No advantage there, either.

There are a number of trim and equipment differances between the two bikes. Rear foot pegs, two up seat, bars. Again, if you're going to ride a lot you'll want to change all those things anyway. Again, no advantage there. The tachometer, speedometer, anddash is very differant, and expensive to change. That may or may not matter to you.

The LR and SGcome stock with cast wheels. The SGC comes with laced. I insisted on cast wheels for my bike.

I looked very carefully at both bikes. In the end I chose the SG. It's more of a "blank canvas". I didn't want to waste money on stuff I didn't want, or would have to change soon. You need to do the same. Decide which one will meet your needs when you finally get it to where you want it to be. Why pay for a two-up seat and passenger foot pegs if you're only going to pitch them in the basement?

Old 12-29-2006, 01:56 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

I've had two Super Glides and nowI'm on a Low Rider. For my 5"6" frame, the Low Rider is the perfect fit. I can firmly flatfoot and with the highway pegs, I can stretch out when I need to. The Low Rider also has a tach, more chrome and blacked out engine.

But... at some point, I will need to upgrade the suspension. As someone already pointed out, the stock suspension is slammed and this makes for a relatively harsh ride.I have played with different preload settings and have found #3 to be pretty much the best setting for me. However, on rough pavement or railroad tracks, my *** gets pounded like a new inmate.

In *my* perfect world, Harley would put the touring air shocks on the Dynas. But, my world ain't perfect and they're not going to do it. Still, my vote would be the Low Rider - at least if you're somewhat vertically challenged like myself.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:55 AM
Timmer
Road Captain

I'm 5'10" and don't have any issues as far as the seat height goes. It's all personal preference what you like. I've always loved the look of Lowriders. To me the SG has a snubbier looking front end versus the LR. Lean angle is 3 degrees difference from the LR to the SG. As far as the ride goes, I have my rear shocks set at 4. Rough ride? All I know it's a hell 'ov alot smoother ride than the Sporty I had.Tire compound makes a bigdifference also. Those junk stock K591 tires are absolutely worthless in my opinion. I put on a P205 on the rear and it'sa whole different bike!

As Gamma said (See, told ya that Gamma) if you put on a different touring seat, which is pretty much a must for long rides, such as the Sundowner it's going to have a whole different feel to it. Maybe your stealer will let you try a Sundowner versus the stocker when you go for a test ride. IF they are decent, they will.Good luck. Tim

Old 12-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior

My Low Rider has two looks now. One for sporting around town and one for touring. I have the quick-detach windshield, a thumbscrew on the seat mount for the sundowner swap, and a removable backrest and rack. Throw a T-bag on the back and the wifey and I are ready for a rode trip. A completely tool-less transition.

I don't have an updated picture, but here's an older one without the T-bag...

[IMG]local://upfiles/20253/D63DFBD79375440C8F6F8AD8077F115F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-30-2006, 03:18 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never ridden either one, but based on looks alone I'd buy the Low Rider. Based on price, I'd buy a Super Glide. [&:]

Old 12-30-2006, 05:04 PM
GeeRam
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went for the Super Glide Custom in the end, over the Low Rider and the Street Bob (we don't get the 'ordinary' Super Glide here in the UK)

I prefered the black/chrome enginefinish and the twin clock instruments of the Low Rider.

But, I prefered the slightly higher seat height, bigger tank, and the more direct feel of the steering of the SGC, with it's wider Fat Boy type bars and lack of any risers, over the apes of the Bob or the narrower bars and risers on the Low Rider.

The SGC is also a good deal cheaper than the Low Rider.

Found out yesterday my Super Glide Custom is due to be shipped from the factory on Jan 11th....

Quick Reply: Super Glide Custom or Lowrider?