Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Hate Harley, Don't know why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:36 PM
speedwaxer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Hate Harley, Don't know why?

OK, new owner here. Just not happy that I found out that ever time you order a KIT from Harley that they give you parts you don't need, they also leave out parts that you have to have to install the parts you do need. I will get over it soon as I do love my my Dyna. Seems like if you order a taillight relocation kit you would get all the parts you would need but no, only if you order the sadllebag kit. Also, If you order the Passenger footpeg kit, they would include the bolts to put it on, but NO the bolts are extra. Trying to make a transition from Honda to Harley but having a hard time. I will get over it, just having a hard time trying to adjust!

John

Old 12-27-2006, 09:44 PM
WillieC
Road Master
Default RE: I Hate Harley, Don't know why?

Well welcome to the forum!
Hopefully you will be able to adjust to the Harley way of life, just do
a little research before ordering your parts. The dealerships are usually fairly
helpful with that..
If not you can always go back to a Honda.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:52 PM
speedwaxer
5th Gear

I did go to the dealer and they told me everything I needed was in the kit for the relocation, after I told them I needed a shorter bolt for the fender and a cover they suggested I use several washers on the bolt.(three inches long) which should only be one inch. I have researched now and found out there is a special part to cover the hole and a shorter bolt. Just frustrated, forgive me, I will adapt.

John

Old 12-27-2006, 09:53 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I think its cuze one part may work on several models... and its the little extras you are talking about that customize it for your model. If you get a parts catalog, you will normally see part dependancies listed with the item you are looking at.
Ask your dealer for a parts catalog, they should be free.... I get mine shipped to me every year from my purchasing dealer.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:57 PM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Welcome to the forums... HD does things different... for example, im sure you noticed an alarm system on your bike without the siren... that's extra...

Old 12-27-2006, 10:01 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: speedwaxer

I did go to the dealer and they told me everything I needed was in the kit for the relocation, after I told them I needed a shorter bolt for the fender and a cover they suggested I use several washers on the bolt.(three inches long) which should only be one inch. I have researched now and found out there is a special part to cover the hole and a shorter bolt. Just frustrated, forgive me, I will adapt.

John
you will also discover that a lot of the guys working the parts counter are not the "know it alls" they would like you to think. Get the catalog, ask questions here, you will get the hang of it.

Not to turn this into a dealership bashing thread... but I will share a story...this was a long story, I will keep it short. I wanted a braided stainless steel fuel line crossover. Stinking Harley part was too short. Parts guy said "oh yeah, I could have told you that would be too short"... I said "well, you sold me the damn thing in the first place, why didn't you say something"?... he just shrugged his shoulder.
I ended up with an aftermarket line, with a convenient quick disconnect. Same parts guy sold this thing up one side and down the other "the best, you gotta have one, I suggest everyone get one of these". Of course it was closer to 80 bucks instead of 40 bucks, but I caved and went for it. Month or two later I had some warranty work done that needed the tank removed. When I got the bike back, the quick connect was leaking fuel. I took it apart, saw it needed a new o-ring (it got torn while putting back together). I went to the dealer to see if that had o-rings that size. Fooking same parts guy says "for what, a quick connect fuel line"?.... me says "yeah" ... him says "man, I always try to talk people out of getting those". I looked at him and said "well, you sure talked them up to me when I had 80 bucks in my pocket"

Moral to the story? Until you have good history with a particular parts guy (or any other service person), only take what they have to say at half value.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 PM
speedwaxer
5th Gear

Yes, you are right about the siren, it's on my list. I am still trying to figure out about the price of the parts catalog. I have general parts catalog but is there a catalog with all parts listed by number and diagram.

John

P.S. Appreciate all the help I can get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2006, 10:06 PM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

Welcome to the forum. Make friends with the search button. There is a wealth of info. here.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 PM
speedwaxer
5th Gear

Dave,

I did a search on turn signal relocation but did not find out a lot of info. In fact the directions that came in my kit was for a rigid mount siderail. Went back to the dealer and they said sorry and printeda copy of the correct directions. By the way the box was sealed from Harley. I am not trying to be negative, just upset that things are not easier to figure out.

John

Old 12-27-2006, 10:17 PM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing when I installed my passenger foot pegs. After getting home and trying to install them without bolts I said "fer Crsps sake"
Had to spend another 20 minutes for the damn things and then I forgot about the spring washers so went the next day during working hours to get them.
The dealers must take them out of the packaging.
Welcome to the forum, sit back, search and enjoy.

Quick Reply: I Hate Harley, Don't know why?