Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Would My HD Mechanic Recommend

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Pastor Joe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Would My HD Mechanic Recommend

Convential oil over synthentic?

I don't really want to start a debate over oil. I think that's already been hashed out here.

I decided to use conventional oil during the break-in period, and now have 4k miles on my bike, and am thinking of switching to synthetic for my next oil change.

I had the oil changed in my 2011 FXDC at the dealership last fall, before I put the bike away for the winter.

Every time I talk with the service mechanic there, he tells me that every mechanic in their shop runs conventional oil in their personal bikes, and it is the best way to go.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,928 Likes on 1,814 Posts

They're overstocked on conventional?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some people are not comfortable with change. Nothing wrong with dino, follow the schedule of changing it & you will get many miles out of your motor.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor Joe
I don't really want to start a debate over oil. I think that's already been hashed out here.
Well, there you go. The fact that there is a debate means there has to be two sides to the story. His side is conventional oil.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure there were some heavy horse and carriage fans that figured cars were just a fad too. What I would say to your mechanic is "O you run dino in (your) bike, good for you, I run Syn in mine" You can't debate the fact that Syn protects and coats moving parts better, it's proven it's science end of story.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
I'm sure there were some heavy horse and carriage fans that figured cars were just a fad too. What I would say to your mechanic is "O you run dino in (your) bike, good for you, I run Syn in mine" You can't debate the fact that Syn protects and coats moving parts better, it's proven it's science end of story.
HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA What he said man! + the fact you will have no problem going an extra 1000 miles on syn if your really stuck!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 AM
98XL1200C
Road Captain

I have always used Conventional oil for years in my bikes. Never had any problems. Ditto...what tOUSteve said.

Last edited by 98XL1200C; 04-01-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 380 Likes on 147 Posts

I went back to conventional oil after 3 years of sync. I never really noticed a big difference in engine temps that everyone talks about, and with sync I had to add oil a couple of times between changes. With conventional oil I fill it to the 3/4 mark and when it needs changing it's still at the 3/4 mark. Plus the valvetrain seems quieter with conventional oil.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Pastor Joe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Well, there you go. The fact that there is a debate means there has to be two sides to the story. His side is conventional oil.

I'm just a little surprised that the opinion of every HD mechanic I have met is to use conventional oil.

Even the local wrench, who owns and services Harleys, as well as servicing other motorcycles, recommends conventional. He's a lot younger than the HD mechanics.

I just don't understand why it seems like most owners prefer synthetic, while the HD mechanics (the ones I know) all use conventional oil in their own bikes.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Auckland
Tourer

Originally Posted by Blaster
I went back to conventional oil after 3 years of sync. I never really noticed a big difference in engine temps that everyone talks about, and with sync I had to add oil a couple of times between changes. With conventional oil I fill it to the 3/4 mark and when it needs changing it's still at the 3/4 mark. Plus the valvetrain seems quieter with conventional oil.
I don't think it's the heat you feel. It's the amount of heat the Syn can withstand before it breaks down.

Quick Reply: Why Would My HD Mechanic Recommend