Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Would My HD Mechanic Recommend

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:22 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NTrain177
i 100% agree with MXER, syn is thinner and finds its way out, guys i run with have done the conv-syn change only to find they need to add more syn oil to the bike b/c they are either using it or leaking it then they switched back to conv oil and badda bing no more oil going bye bye...to me run the heavier conv oil...i run the hell out of my bikes and run conv oil and have no issues....if you are worried about oil/motor temps get an oil cooler...enough said.
Oil coolers only work when you are moving .. what about when you are stuck in traffic its 100 degrees out and your sitting still for 5 and 10 minutes at a time. Oil coolers don't do much under those circumstances. Personally ill pay a little more for my oil and hope to get that extra 40,000 miles out of the motor. If you would rather just fun plain oil fine.. its your bike. Its pretty much personal preference. BTW Pastor Joe: HD mechanics have been recommending conventional oil for years , they used to say synthetic was too slick and would ruin your bearings. Then HD came out with Syn 3.

Last edited by missedem; 04-01-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:26 PM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by missedem
Oil coolers only work when you are moving .. what about when you are stuck in traffic its 100 degrees out and your sitting still for 5 and 10 minutes at a time. Oil coolers don't do much under those circumstances. Personally ill pay a little more for my oil and hope to get that extra 40,000 miles out of the motor. If you would rather just fun plain oil fine.. its your bike. Its pretty much personal preference.
It's a pipe dream to think this is the case. You tell yourself this is the case because it helps you justify the rediculous cost of syn oil.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:33 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MXerwithaBob
It's a pipe dream to think this is the case. You tell yourself this is the case because it helps you justify the rediculous cost of syn oil.
I can get synthetic oil at the local auto store here for 6 bucks a quart. I am being realistic. I can not afford another bike so im gonna make mine last. secondly why do care so much what kind of oil I choose to run. If you use regular oil personally I don't care at all. I am only stating why I use synthetic. Its a free country. The OP asked a question and i gave an answer my opinion only. Not yours or anyone elses.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Froggyfatbob
Advanced
Exclamation

as a (auto) mechanic I recommend conventional also, if you change your oil in the specified interval, there is no difference and the dino is cheaper.

not to mention syn is thinner and seems to find the smaller areas to leak out of that dino will not. He probably gets tired of fixing the smaller leaks that syn tends to find. Also, if you don't change over to syn early enough, you will burn quite a bit more.
im a bike mechanic and that is the exact reason dealers push conventional oil i use syn in everything i own

Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 PM
gnip
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read someware, (on this site maybe), that conventional oil sticks to the bearing surfaces and provides better protection at start up. Don't know if it's true or not; but I'll use conventional.
If I was going 7,000 miles between oil changes???

Old 04-01-2012, 07:02 PM
NTrain177
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree again with what was brought up before about the cabs...they sit in heat all day and do nothing but stop and go driving. oil is light years better than it was and in a simple air cooled 4 stroke motor there is zero need to run anything other than basic oil if there was HD WOULD start your ride with SYN 3 from the factory...i also ride snowmobiles and anyone else on here that does will know what i am talking about...when you buy a new sled they put in "power valve" high dollar oil from the factory b/c thats what is to be run in the sled, of course there is basic 2 cycle oil but that is not what is recommened to be run i know its an apple to orange deal but its along the same lines...the oil topic has two sides...i don't really think there is a right or wrong if there was HD would make one oil and tell us that conv oil would void warranty.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK but which brand of oil is the best ????

Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

as a (auto) mechanic I recommend conventional also, if you change your oil in the specified interval, there is no difference ...

not to mention syn is thinner and seems to find the smaller areas to leak out of that dino will not. He probably gets tired of fixing the smaller leaks that syn tends to find. Also, if you don't change over to syn early enough, you will burn quite a bit more.
Originally Posted by NTrain177
...syn is thinner and finds its way out...
B.S. 20w50=20w50.

Originally Posted by Pastor Joe
I'm just a little surprised that the opinion of every HD mechanic I have met is to use conventional oil.

Even the local wrench, who owns and services Harleys, as well as servicing other motorcycles, recommends conventional...
Uh...selective inbreeding?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 PM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer

Originally Posted by lo-rider
B.S. 20w50=20w50.

Uh...selective inbreeding?
we are inbred because we use a different composition of oil? wow.

edit: removed an inappropriate comment

Last edited by MXerwithaBob; 04-01-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM
MrPappagiorgio
Cruiser

So far my experience with HD mechanics is that they are all old school and dont want to change. I don't want to say there all the same but that has been my observation. I would recommend Redline oils.

Quick Reply: Why Would My HD Mechanic Recommend