Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield...Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:35 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Windshield...Yes or No?

9,000 miles since March 06 without a windshield, and 95% freeway, half of it at 75-80 mph. A windshield is just not the same ride.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:12 AM
TRITON
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think windshields on anything other than a touring bike look like ****. That being said, get one. On long rides at interstate speeds it is a lifesaver. Besides, with the quick disconnect kit, you can ride in comfort to where your going, then pop it off and look cool cruising. Like others have said sometimes you just have to go with function over form.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:02 AM
hep0950
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go with the yes crowd. During cold weather or hiway driving, it is a bit more comfortable. I'd rather be comfortable than cool looking anyday. I have mine on moist of the time. I have driven without one during the summer, and I think it gets less tiring with a windshield. It's really a personal like or dislike. Best you can do is try it and see how you like it.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:53 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I vote yes. I ride a lot,almost 14000 miles on this bike since March and I've got a little Windvestthat I don't even bother to take off anymore.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 12-28-2006, 06:55 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

I use one during the cold months and wear "Cacoons" over my glasses when I don't have it on.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:51 AM
fxdwgcvo
Cruiser

well i vote yes
my problem is i have a cvo with headlight fairing but because of knowledgeable people here and what to try i am fabricating one off a night rod ,but after i rode i didnt like the wind ,bugs or what ever in my face even though i wear goggles and half helmet i like the looks of w/s and its 1,2,3 off with in 60 seconds
just my 2 cents

2001fxdwg2cvo
peter

Old 12-28-2006, 11:32 AM
ad2
Cruiser

I've had mine on my WG since I bought it. I took it off for a couple of rides - thinking I'd look so much "cooler" - and my eyes watered so bad it hasn't been off since. I found that the length of the trip isn't important, but the speed is, so if you plan on getting above 30 mph you'll appreciate the shield.

Watch the riders you meet on the road that don't have shields. The bike looks good, but the rider will typically have his/her head turned to the side to keep their eyes from watering as much. I've asked other riders about this and I believe most don't even realize they do it.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:55 AM
bronk
Road Master

You could always go the flyscreen rout.Helps with some of the wind and bugs but not too big on the bike.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

YES. Don't let anyone here tell you you're a ***** for riding with a windshield. Most of them ride with helmets...

As Grunt described, get a quick release model and use it when you need it. I rode 500 miles yesterday for a PGR mission and it was 39* for the first 200 miles. I still wouldn't have thawed out yet were it not for my windshield. You won't regret it.

Consider your seat height and whether or not you plan on changing seats in the future. A taller seat will impact the effect of the wind screen. I got the smallest sporty wind screen and with my Sundowner seat, it provides just enough blockage. If I were 2" taller, it would be useless.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:44 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ad2

I've had mine on my WG since I bought it. I took it off for a couple of rides - thinking I'd look so much "cooler" - and my eyes watered so bad it hasn't been off since. I found that the length of the trip isn't important, but the speed is, so if you plan on getting above 30 mph you'll appreciate the shield.

Watch the riders you meet on the road that don't have shields. The bike looks good, but the rider will typically have his/her head turned to the side to keep their eyes from watering as much. I've asked other riders about this and I believe most don't even realize they do it.
dude, have you tried any of the goggle style glasses out there? They sort of address the whole teary eye thing [8D]

Quick Reply: Windshield...Yes or No?