Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback Leaks Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:07 AM
norton
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Haven't noticed any leaks that I can see, but mine sure stinks up the garage. Good thing I like the smell of gas.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Dphillip
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info JHL, I never thought of the State Attorney General's Office. The Lemon Law is something I've researched and at this point my motorcycle has met the criteria to be deemed a Lemon under the law.

I wonder if the factory feels that one of their newest motorcycles being classified as a Lemon is "proper reresentation of the product"?

Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dphillip
Thanks for the info JHL, I never thought of the State Attorney General's Office. The Lemon Law is something I've researched and at this point my motorcycle has met the criteria to be deemed a Lemon under the law.

I wonder if the factory feels that one of their newest motorcycles being classified as a Lemon is "proper reresentation of the product"?
Damn good point. I would send your post to the director of marketing for HD and then challenge him to officially respond. Let him know you are already making the problem public because it's clearly a safety issue that could have devastating consequences if it ignites not only your bike, but house.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 AM
DTDK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if anyone at corporate would care about this forum. I doubt it, the MOCO is only interested in clothing and new bike sales. Folks have known for years about short comings in HD bikes, talked about them, and the MOCO has done nothing to fix them.

Yes the FLD is a new bike, but they are not worried at all about sales of this model, they are selling great. Let's face it, the majority of buyers, trust in a company such as HD, to whom you pay a huge premium to to own their products, to properly research, design and manufacture a product.

The minority of buyers (even though this is changing) take the time to research a product on the internet, which is without a doubt the best place for a consumer to go before making any substantial purchase.

So, until HD corporate starts hearing from the dealers, that they are unable to move a product due to bad feedback online, or until the accountants figure that lawsuits will cost more then fixing something, don't expect the MOCO to do anything on a large scale.

Hopefully if the OP raises enough stink, the moco will make it right with him, but for everyone that does not put hours and hours of work, and who knows how much cash if you have to get a lawyer, they will be left saying WTF.

I keep thinking how lucky i am, that my bike works right, no stink, no leaks, always starts, all the gears work.

I swear if HD does not start to support its client base, other then prospective new bike buyers (as it seems from this guys issues they dont support them after the sale). I will be buying a victory, as soon as they have one out with some classic lines as opposed to the modern look they have now.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:04 AM
perryross
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m a very satisfied FLD owner without any gas issues
other than the unnecessary high cost of it.
Really sorry to hear about this problem your having.
Add me to the list of FLD owners without a gas leak.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:00 PM
jayfld
Stage III

I picked up my new FLD in Feb. '12. I never saw or smelled a gas leak during my 500 mile break in period. After my 500 miles, I went on a 200 mile ride at highway and freeway speeds. I filled up the tank right before getting home. When I parked the bike in my garage I was shocked to see gas dripping out of the vent line under the bike. I'm scheduled to have my 1000 mile service done next week and will definitely be letting the service department know this is happening. I'm very concerned after reading this thread.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
jamman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 k on mine , lookin at a back tire... no gas leaks here , But my gauge hasnt worked (at all) since 600 miles or so.. damn they are supposed to fix that, but then i wont be able to ride ,

Old 03-31-2012, 01:08 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer

i have an '09 superglide that leaked gas once when the tank had a lift kit installed. it was a one time thing and it was a large amount of fuel but it has only happened the one time. i hope your tank leak issue gets resolved soon. i couldnt imagine having a brand new bike with such an issue.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:02 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

The factory does not recommend putting this emissions kit on the bike and feels dripping gasoline is all part of the Harley Davidson experience.
Do you have this in writing? If not tell them to forward a written confirmation!

Originally Posted by DTDK
have good records of all the times you have had it in the shop for the same problem, dates and times of telephone conversations,
Great first step before pursueing legal action!

file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Institute
I've been keeping a time line and paper trail of every contact I've had with the dealership or factory.
?
Filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Institute is about as helpfull as **** on a bull! Your situation is totally unacceptable! They should either fix it, replace it or give you your money back! Again, accurate records will probably be what makes or breaks your situation!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Dphillip
Intermediate

I'm told that if enough people make a complaint to the NHTSA they can make Harley recall the model and correct the problem.

The sales manager at my dealership has convinced me to allow the factory regional service manager to inspect my motorcycle next week when he rolls into town. I'm not sure what he's going to do or say because the factory has already made their position clear. I'll take the hook and let him look it over and if nothing else it demonstrates full cooperation on my part.

Quick Reply: Switchback Leaks Gasoline