Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback Leaks Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:21 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Make copies of all of your correspondence and service orders and send them with a letter to the Harley Davidson legal department certified mail return receipt stating that you have a fuel leaking issue that after repeated attempts the MoCo will not repair and should it result in a fire then Harley Davidson is responsible for any loss of property or life.

Then file a complaint with your state Attorney General consumer protection office regarding your motorcycle as a fire hazard.

This might do it.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:53 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dphillip
I don't know if the dealership checked the fuel pump to determine if it's staying pressurized or not? I know there was some concern about the fuel pump continuing to run after the motor was shut off but that's not happening.

Perhaps I could rally up all the Switchback owners who are not having my problem to shoot me a quick email just plainly saying how long they've had their bike, how many milies, and they don't drip gas? Those emails might help me at the dealership or in court if it comes to that.

Switchback owners please let me know.

dvoss@sarpy.com
Email sent along with letter. Let me know if I can help in any other way.
Bob

Old 03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Dphillip
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I'm told by the dealer service tech's that the gas cap does not act as a vent to release pleasure from the tank but does allows air into the tank so the fuel pump doesn't create a vacuum within the tank. Seems if it did vent pressure in the gas might not come out of the vent line.

Matt, that vent line on your Switchback dumps right at the bottom of the frame just forward of the rear tire. You can see itbif you take a knee and look under the bike. That's where you'll get drips.

I'm getting a few emails from fellow owners who are not experiencing my problem. I want to thank you all who have taken the time to respond via email and on this forum.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
stichback
Advanced

Just went out and checked my FLD and saw 3 stains around where I park my bike. My wife said she smelled gas from the bike a once or twice and usually right after I park it. This isn't enough for me to worry as all my Harleys have 'Marked Thier Spot' but to have too much gas leak is not good. Hope you fair well.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:20 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

that sucks that you re having such issues with a brand new bike. Seems not standing behind there bikes and honoring there obligations is becoming part of " the harley experience " too. Id talk to a lawyer and see what can be done.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

i havent checked but then again i only have 229 miles on my since i bought it
in december BUT i have smelled gas a few times that i have ridden it and then parked.

this looks like something i will have to pay attention to once i'm able to ride again.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Dphillip
Intermediate

I did have a meeting scheduled today to meet with the dealership sales manager to discuss the problem. My intent was to have the sales manager contact the factory and tell them this motorcycle really is leaking gasoline but since the factory feels this is a normal occurrence having the dealership contact the factory would be a waste of time.

I've now just sent a email to the sales manager saying it's now time to refund my money or give me another Switchback that doesn't leak gasoline.

I'll be calling him later and asking for their response.

I fear lawyers will soon be involved.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 PM
2/4 RAR
Intermediate

I have just gone past the 2000k mark and do not have any problems with gas leakage on my Switchback. It is normally in the garage with a full tank and there have never been any smell of fuel. I think they are feeding you a load of BS

Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Dphillip
Intermediate

This afternoon I drew the line in the sand and told the sales manager it was time to refund my money or give me a new Switchback that doesn't leak gasoline. He stated that he could not give me an answer at this time which I interpreted as a no.

I'll be calling my attorney Monday and placing the matter in his hands.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dphillip
This afternoon I drew the line in the sand and told the sales manager it was time to refund my money or give me a new Switchback that doesn't leak gasoline. He stated that he could not give me an answer at this time which I interpreted as a no.

I'll be calling my attorney Monday and placing the matter in his hands.
When I had a persistent problem with my Ford, I contacted my state attorney general and filed an application under the state lemon law, and also filed a complaint with the BBB.

Within 15 days I had the best rental in the dealership fleet, and the car was in the shop while a factory rep tore it apart. They wound up replacing everything from the u-joint back (to fix rear end noises), AND they extended the warranty to 8 years/100,000 miles. And threw in oil changes and tire rotations for a year.

Didn't cost me a nickel for a lawyer, and I got what I wanted.

Personally, I'd try that route first.
Nebraska Lemon Law covers motorcycles ... here are some details:
http://www.lemonjustice.com/lemon-la...rcycle_law.php

Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Switchback Leaks Gasoline