Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback Leaks Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 772 Posts

Not only should you not ride it, I would not even leave it inside.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's rough man. Become the biggest pain in the *** they have ever seen. I hope it works out for you. I've never had a gas leaking issue on a Harley.....on one of my old muscle cars is another story....lol

Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Dphillip
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that no other Switchback owners have experienced this issue. It should help make my case at the dealership?

Thanks so much for that information FBinSoCal.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 AM
wyldspirit
Tourer

D like Bob said we know 20+ FLD owners and none of us have had an issue of any fuel leaks. You should contact your states Attorny General to see what he can help with. The problem I see here is that when you are riding you can not see if the vent line is dripping gas so if that gas hits a hot engine the that could also start a fire

Old 03-30-2012, 05:28 AM
wyldspirit
Tourer

Hey D did they check the fuel pump to see if it is staying pressurized after you turn the bike off?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Dphillip
Intermediate

I don't know if the dealership checked the fuel pump to determine if it's staying pressurized or not? I know there was some concern about the fuel pump continuing to run after the motor was shut off but that's not happening.

Perhaps I could rally up all the Switchback owners who are not having my problem to shoot me a quick email just plainly saying how long they've had their bike, how many milies, and they don't drip gas? Those emails might help me at the dealership or in court if it comes to that.

Switchback owners please let me know.

dvoss@sarpy.com

Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 AM
JCryder
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Switchback is being delivered to my house by the dealer today. (didn't want to ride new tires and brakes in the predicted snow!) I will monitor for this issue and keep you posted.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 AM
cecharles
Tourer

No drips here. Sorry to hear about your problems. I don't know if there's a fuse for the fuel pump but try pulling the fuse after you shut off the bike and see if that stops the leak. And if they've already replaced your gas tank and the leak is still happening out of your vent line then I would think it's a problem with your fuel pump or maybe even the wiring. Like others have mentioned, the gas cap is suppose to act a vent also. I have filled my gas tank as full as I could and have had no leaks. Hope you can get it resolved so you can get some trouble free riding in without the smell of the gas.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Dudlee
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 700 miles on my Switchback and No fuel leaks.. I'm in California so it has the charcoal canister setup though..

Old 03-30-2012, 08:37 AM
MattsHD
Intermediate

Im going to keep an eye on my Switchback now.

Just picked it up last weekend. Stopped at a friends house on the way home and when I left I noticed a small drip in front of the rear tire on his driveway. Figured I'd keep an eye on things and so far no drips in my garage. But I did notice a faint gas smell when I was working on it the other day. I didnt think much of it because my face was inches from the bike in the area of the vent.

I'll let you know if mine has the same issue.

Quick Reply: Switchback Leaks Gasoline