Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help..bike stuttering and cutting out under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskoolbob
May have moisture in the distributer too!! But getting your bike wet aint gona pedmanantly hurt anything. It may cause headaches but eventally it will dry if ya dont find it, ive risden on the interstate in the rain and had the exact same crap happen,just like you described, but as soon as the sun came out and it got some good dry wind to it, it was smooth sailing again...

Distributer..?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:02 PM
bherbote
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you finally figure out on the bike, im in the same situation.. thanks

Old 07-19-2020, 11:53 AM
falikmike
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by a34655
I had the same thing happen once. It ended up being water in the power commander plug. I took it apart and water drained out. i let it drip overnight then took a hair dryer to it. Before putting it back together I gave the pins a good coating off dielectric grease and haven't had a problem since.
is this grease safe? I have commander 5 and same problem at low idle....it is jumpy....when I use like 3 % throttle just to get the bike going on the road, minimum throttle it jerks....

Old 07-19-2020, 01:22 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,862 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Good advice about the grease on the connections. Power washing a bike needs to be done with extreme caution, don't get the spray any where near the axles (bearings), dipsticks, connectors spark plug wires, coil or handle bar switches. When we are on the road touring I ask the front desk for towels that can be used to wipe down the bike and use the ice bucket to hold some water.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:32 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,037 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Good advice about the grease on the connections. Power washing a bike needs to be done with extreme caution, don't get the spray any where near the axles (bearings), dipsticks, connectors spark plug wires, coil or handle bar switches. When we are on the road touring I ask the front desk for towels that can be used to wipe down the bike and use the ice bucket to hold some water.
So then you have no place to put the beer?

Old 07-19-2020, 03:11 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

I just got my bike out after having it sit in the garage for a couple weeks, when it started having this issue. When I went to take off, it had a clicking sound, like teeth skipping on a chain, and it sputtered and jerked, like the clutch was slipping. Once I backed off the throttle, it wasn't as bad, and once I got up to speed, it smoothed out and was fine. I was about to go for a long ride when this started, so I limped it home. I thought maybe the primary was low on oil, since I had a couple drips from around the shift shaft through the primary, but it was still full. All 3 oils were changed not too long ago, along with the rear drive belt (work done by a local shop), and since the end of May, when I began working from home, I haven't ridden more than 100 miles all together. This has me puzzled, and I don't want to ride for fear of really messing things up. Anyone have any ideas on what to check?
Thanks!

Old 07-21-2020, 09:38 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 875 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by falikmike
is this grease safe?
It's silicone based. It excludes moisture and so keeps the contacts from corroding. Use it in any connection exposed to moisture from CAN bus plugs to turn signal bulbs.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:41 AM
falikmike
Tourer

you can go heavy with it? or just a bit?

Old 07-23-2020, 11:14 AM
falikmike
Tourer

Originally Posted by a34655
I had the same thing happen once. It ended up being water in the power commander plug. I took it apart and water drained out. i let it drip overnight then took a hair dryer to it. Before putting it back together I gave the pins a good coating off dielectric grease and haven't had a problem since.
I opened the plugs up, did not see any water and i left them open during hte night and i use the hair dryer too.....but nothing changed.....it is still jumpy. it has been now few weeks after I washed the bike

Last edited by falikmike; 07-23-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:18 AM
falikmike
Tourer

Originally Posted by transam7969
I washed the bike yesterday and have never really pressure washed it too hard until yesterday so I don't know if i got water in the electronics or wtf...it was running perfectly until I washed it but i aalso got gas right after so those are the only 2 things that happened before it started acting up. Just doesn't seem like something bad gas would do but I have no idea.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what the issue could be? Its a 2010 wideglide with 9k miles, power commander, a/c, pipes...

Pisses me off, its been so beautiful out lately I've been riding a ton and enjoying the new tires and now this
did you find out what was wrong?