Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF: Are the rear turn signals also running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 AM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default FXDF: Are the rear turn signals also running lights?

I had to rewire some when I put on the Wide Glide fender. Can't remember if the rear turn signals were also lit as running lights on the stock set up.

Can someone check for me? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

No. HD sells a module for around $59 MSRP that turns them into brake / run / signal lights...well worth it for safety. The kit comes with red lenses (law) but I switched over to smoked lenses with very bright LED red bulbs.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:48 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

As far as my research can tell, no law against leaving the amber lenses installed. They even sell the module for $10 less without the lenses. Rear blinkers in most states can be red or amber, front can be amber or clear.

I leave the amber lenses on as they stand out in traffic much better.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM
2012fxdc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know in california you cant ride with ambers as running lights in the rear.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 AM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I have been thinking about the run/turn/stop module as I don't think the under fender brake light gives enough of a display as a running light at night.

For what it's worth, in MD (2010 Maryland Code TRANSPORTATION TITLE 22 - VEHICLE LAWS) say:

- motorcycles do not have to have turn signals
- front turn signals can be white, amber or any shade in between
- rear turn signals can be red or amber or any shade in between
- stop lamps (brake lights) can be red or amber or any shade in between

My guess is you'd be better off with a red brake light and amber turn signals as those colors are what drivers are conditioned to understand. So, if you have a run/turn/brake controller on your turn signals, its probably better to keep them amber. I also think it could be beneficial to stopping as the driver sees both red and amber - not common and, perhaps, more likely to get their explicit attention. JMHO.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AFMM3
As far as my research can tell, no law against leaving the amber lenses installed. They even sell the module for $10 less without the lenses. Rear blinkers in most states can be red or amber, front can be amber or clear.

I leave the amber lenses on as they stand out in traffic much better.

FMVSS 108 which most states have adopted as their standard requires that tail or stop lamps be red - this is why the kit comes with red lenses.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:50 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Much safer with the red lens, or else clear or smoked lenses with red bulbs.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 PM
_LostSoul_
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
No. HD sells a module for around $59 MSRP that turns them into brake / run / signal lights...well worth it for safety. The kit comes with red lenses (law) but I switched over to smoked lenses with very bright LED red bulbs.
Anyone have a part number? is there a way to do this without the module?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:59 AM
bg1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go.

Auxiliary Brake Light / Running Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit - Bullet Lens Style

Turn signal module adds an auxiliary brake light and running light function to your existing turn signals for auxiliary rear lighting. Red lenses glow when the headlamp is on, and increase in intensity when brakes or turn signals are activated. Easy-to-install, the kit simply plugs into your existing wiring harness. Red turn signal lenses are included. Meets DOT requirements.*

69462-06C

Bullet Lens Style

Fits '02-'03 XL, '02-later DynaŽ (except FXDXT and '09-later FXDB and FXDWG) and '02-later SoftailŽ (except FXS, FXSTD/I) models with stock bullet-style turn signals. (NOTE: Not intended for use on '04-later FLHX, FLHRS, FLTR or FLHTCSE models, '05-later FLSTN models or models equipped with Bullet Turn Signal Bar Kit P/N 68615-04 or 68617-04. If installed on these models, the system will function properly but will not meet the DOT minimum separation requirements for a red tail light to red turn signal.)*

MSRP US $59.95

Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 AM
SniperDude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.chromeglow.com has some good LED turn sigs for the bullet style housings. The leds are much brighter than the stock bulb and are rated to last almost forever lol

Quick Reply: FXDF: Are the rear turn signals also running lights?