Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power at speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 PM
jameserss
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power at speed

I'm haveing issues and could use some help. I have a 96 fxd it was sitting for a while before I got it. It has 16k miles, I have cleaned out the carb 2 times installed a clear in line fuel filter. Cleaned the tank via electrolysis as well as
completely disassembled the pet ****.
The issue while driving is that I can cruise along at speed then all of the sudden it is like I have no power any longer. The bike begins missing and back firing. If I feather the throttle I can keep it alive and slowly bring it back to life and idle again. If I just pull in the clutch it will die with out feathering the throttle. I thought I had a tank vent issue and completely removed the gas cap when this happened and still no change. This has happened at speeds from 30-70. One moment I can cruise along and the next it is like it's dead. Please if anyone has any suggestions as to what may be the problem I am open to them all before I take it somewhere.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Sadthorn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple things possible to produce those symptoms. Experience points to checking out the VOES switch atop your intake manifold. Make sure that's not faulty, factory service manual will explain a basic check to test it or use a known good VOES switch in place of your original. Another thing that's possible is can you replicate the shut down behavior while the bike is being revved on it's side stand with no physical load? Possible that there's a poor connection somewhere in the ignition circuit. I'd start from the battery and test my way towards the coil. I could keep going on and on with several more things to check, but just trying to give you a few key areas to look into for a start. Cheers!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Time to rebuild your carb, cheapest place to start

Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 PM
KevenW
Tourer

i agree with the carb rebuild since it has been setting. stuff likes to dry out in carbs when setting up like that for a while. does it have an in tank fuel filter? if so check that if you haven't. sounds like it's starving for fuel when under load. several things it could be but start with the cheapest easiest things first. sometimes these type things are just trial and error till you find the problem. good luck getting her going, maybe it'll be something simple.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:40 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

like the others said it sounds like missing fuel, either water or dirt , or the floats ain't coming up. Have you tried a few sprits of good ole carb cleaner?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:25 AM
CobraEd
Tourer

Sounds like an intermittent ignition problem to me.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure the new in line filter has a high enough flow rate?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
jameserss
Intermediate

I can cruise down the road at 70 for 15 to 20 min and then all of the sudden is just comes from no where. It is definately intermittent. I took the carb apart everwhere aside from removing the float and pulling the jets. I can drive 10 miles at 55 and not have any issues. The last time I took it for a ride I drove 10 miles at 55-60mph and 3 miles at 30 then another 14 miles at 70mph before the issue happened. I got off the high way and got to a parking lot where it seemed to be ok again. I took it back on the highway for another 2 miles and the problem happened again. another 2 miles after that on the highway it happened again then it rode fine for the other couple miles home on city streets at 30mph.
I dont have a manual at this point could someone tell me how to check the VOES? if they still believe that this is my problem.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 AM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

might be that clear fuel filter.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a loose ground wire and they symptoms were like you described but it happened with more frequent regularity the more I rode. Yours sounds like a similar problem but more like a loose wire in a harness somewhere.

Quick Reply: Loss of power at speed