Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power at speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could a corroded system relay be causing this problem?
I had a similar issue when I had my Sporty..

Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM
CobraEd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
I had a loose ground wire and they symptoms were like you described but it happened with more frequent regularity the more I rode. Yours sounds like a similar problem but more like a loose wire in a harness somewhere.

I agree. All of the symptoms sound like something electrical affecting the ignition.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 PM
putso
Advanced

Check the coil I had the same problems you discribed but it was in my truck I changed the coil and every thing was fine.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Reaper_ggy
Road Master

had the same issue with a kawasaki 750 ltd 1985 ...
I was sure that it was a little problem but each time I settled an issus anotherone bigger was coming out , long story short, a cylinder was seized and damaged and the rings where dried or "stocked". And seemed to have good compression anyway from the start ... the first things I did ... Cleaned the carb (6 times) but the tank was full of sh*t, changed sparkplugs wires, ac, fuel filter, and battery and coils to finally sell the crap for serial number

Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 PM
jameserss
Intermediate

I checked the VOES and it does show resistance with vacuum. I have a new coil but haven't had the time to test it. If you have any more ideas or suggestions I'm open to them when I get a chance to test it I will let everyone know if the problem still exists.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Norb5150
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

www.harley-performance.com good information if you have a carb problem. Also definately check your grounds it very well could be a corroded wire making minimum contact and the vibrations causing the dis connect.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:10 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did the bike sit with fuel ? sounds like the float is sticking .

Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 AM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jameserss
I'm haveing issues and could use some help. I have a 96 fxd it was sitting for a while before I got it. It has 16k miles, I have cleaned out the carb 2 times installed a clear in line fuel filter. Cleaned the tank via electrolysis as well as
completely disassembled the pet ****.
The issue while driving is that I can cruise along at speed then all of the sudden it is like I have no power any longer. The bike begins missing and back firing. If I feather the throttle I can keep it alive and slowly bring it back to life and idle again. If I just pull in the clutch it will die with out feathering the throttle. I thought I had a tank vent issue and completely removed the gas cap when this happened and still no change. This has happened at speeds from 30-70. One moment I can cruise along and the next it is like it's dead. Please if anyone has any suggestions as to what may be the problem I am open to them all before I take it somewhere.

I think you mean "petcock" (one word). "Pet ****" (two words) would be the male appendage on a dog, cat, hamster, horse, etc.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:52 AM
jameserss
Intermediate

Thank you for the correction I will use the term petcock correctly. The bike did get put away with fuel in the tank. When my brother picked it up they decided to add some more fuel and start it. After I got it I emptied the tank and cleaned the carb. I'm not sure why the float would stick partially during the middle of a long drive.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jameserss
Thank you for the correction I will use the term petcock correctly. The bike did get put away with fuel in the tank. When my brother picked it up they decided to add some more fuel and start it. After I got it I emptied the tank and cleaned the carb. I'm not sure why the float would stick partially during the middle of a long drive.
they stick when they stick....if the seat is coated with old varnish fuel , it doesn't take much for the needle to stick closed. you run until the bowl is exhausted of fuel...bike loses power because it is now fuel starved....the weight of the float plus a bump or a little time...needle drops free, bowl fills up and your on your ways again.

Quick Reply: Loss of power at speed