Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel Lacing Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:41 PM
rebelranger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel Lacing Pattern

As the title says what is the rear wheel lacing pattern? I've done my front and it was simple because of the hub design but this rear hub as me stumped. I've try three patterns already (about 1.5 hours) and not of them work. Additionally, my HD service manual doesn't show much on how to do this. So if you have done this please let me know...if you have pictures or can point me in the right direction that would be even better!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't done the rear but I struggled with the front at first. I ended up using blue painters tape, I needed to anyway due to powder coating, and labeled each hole 1-4 and was able to count the spokes out to get them all in the correct spot. Not sure if this will help.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:07 AM
rebelranger
Advanced

No the front I used the factory spokes with the 21" rim and it was one miss and then got it, changing to the 3 over 1 was easy. Here I'm trying to do the 4 over 1 and am lost... I'll try again in the morning with pictures and a write up.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Dyna project going and made a few How To videos. I have a video on how to lace a Wide Glide 21" wheel. I think this will help you with the rear. The rear hub has the same spoke hole pattern as the front.

http://youtu.be/2dQxeYn5p1E

Old 03-15-2012, 07:15 AM
rebelranger
Advanced

Thanks but no it does not! The front hub is a straight lacing pattern whereas the rear has offset lacing. Actually take a second and look.

If anyone has Actually done this please post up. Pictures will be great.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 AM
tomt
Road Master

Originally Posted by rebelranger
Thanks but no it does not! The front hub is a straight lacing pattern whereas the rear has offset lacing. Actually take a second and look.

If anyone has Actually done this please post up. Pictures will be great.
I'm sorry I tried to help!!! Post a pic of your hub.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 AM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I relaced my wheels last year, I actually found the rear to be far easier than the front but I used this picture I took and the service manual information. It took a couple hours but I got it done.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Never done it, but this might help. Description of this 16 inch 1 over 4 rear rim (Dyna 2003) lacing procedure is very clear to me....

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 03-15-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:52 PM
tomt
Road Master

Here is a pic of my rear wheel. The hub has the same staggered hole pattern as my front wheel. If your rear hub has the same staggered hole pattern my video should help.

Does your front hub have the hole pattern like the one in my next pic? My video does not have this style hub. It has the staggered spoke hole hub. I think Harley only uses the staggered hole hub for rear wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Rear wheel Lacing Pattern-video-26-0-00-00-012.jpg   Rear wheel Lacing Pattern-21rim2.jpg  
Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM
rebelranger
Advanced

Tomt - sorry that may have come off harsh and wasn't intented to be...I actually watched the videos on youtube and you didn't do the rear.

Mxerwithabob and Tomt- THank you, the bare wheel pics actually help...my pictures with the wheel off still had the brake and belt sprocket on them so I couldn't see the spokes.

FXD2003rider - yea my manual is like that but my brain just can't figure it out. I need a end result picture then the before photos help.

I'll post up the pictures when I finish tonight.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel Lacing Pattern