Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Steel Steed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

What do you use? Why do you use those?

We all want to tweak out as much performance with what we have for as little money as possible... well, at least some of us do. Spark plugs are something that many of us can afford on the fly.
We all know that plugs and oil and tires are discussed often, but I hadn't yet seen the info the help me make a decision. We all like to talk about it anyway, so lets do it.

So the big question is, do your "high performance" plugs give you a little more go when compared to the plain jane, factory plugs?

Currently, i have the same 'ol plugs that came with the bike.

Are Screamin' Eagles worth it? Another brand?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:31 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

No, they are not worth it. But if you think anyone can feel a difference between plug brands then go for it. Factory ones work just fine at igniting the fuel and air mixture.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tend to agree. I think this has been gone over before. A spark is a spark.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are already a hundred threads on this. The factory, stock plugs are as good as you're going to get. Anything else is a waste of money.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I've tried just about all of them. Noticed absolutely no difference. The iridiums last longer but so what. $1.50 Autolites work just as well and will easily last 10K.
Someone will chime in here and say you need to use the stock HD plugs because of the ion sensing that makes timing changes for anti knock.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Ill be the different guy! I'm not talking about dyno differences because I have no idea, but being that I live in a colder climate area the NGK iridiums work better then stock plugs. Just to see the difference i put the stock plugs back in and I stalled the bike in the morning three days in a row. The stock plugs just didn't fire as good when cold. The stock plugs took a couple blocks before it ran normal, after they warmed up a bit. The iridiums fired the bike up instantly in colder weather and the bike didn't cough and sputter down the road. The stockers coughed and sputtered till they were nice and warmed up. If you live in warmer climates I'm sure stockers would be fine, but being that i live in the northwest I'm not one of those guys that lets my bike idle in the driveway for 5 minutes to warm up the bike in the morning, so the iridiums work better for me!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaronB
Ill be the different guy! I'm not talking about dyno differences because I have no idea, but being that I live in a colder climate area the NGK iridiums work better then stock plugs. Just to see the difference i put the stock plugs back in and I stalled the bike in the morning three days in a row. The stock plugs just didn't fire as good when cold. The stock plugs took a couple blocks before it ran normal, after they warmed up a bit. The iridiums fired the bike up instantly in colder weather and the bike didn't cough and sputter down the road. The stockers coughed and sputtered till they were nice and warmed up. If you live in warmer climates I'm sure stockers would be fine, but being that i live in the northwest I'm not one of those guys that lets my bike idle in the driveway for 5 minutes to warm up the bike in the morning, so the iridiums work better for me!

I had researched plugs and came across this mentioned before (maybe by JaronB).
I got the NGK and I do feel it lights-up and settles to a smooth idle/throttle quicker with the Iridiums. For the small amount of money I am very pleased. I will continue with them if they continue to run well.
As far as performance gain.....NOPE

Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM
roneil
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have SE plugs on my Fat Bob only because the original spark plugs needed a change and i got 25% holiday discount on the SE plugs during the last holiday season.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 AM
onemyndseye
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the years I have tried all sorts of plugs in all sorts of motors... Split fires, platinum, so on and so forth ...

Never noticed anything out of any of the fancy plugs but my wallet getting slimmer... Did my 10k service this weekend and used regular NGK's from my local indy. Have used NGK's for years in all my 2 strokers and they work well. Reliable. Cheap. Autolites are just as good

@JarodB - As far as colder climate I would think you could run a 1 step hotter plug and save the extra cost of the Iridiums. Should do the same thing

Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
The difference you noticed in the plugs more than likely isnt brand specific its probably because they have a different heat range

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs