Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Dyna Wide Glide "CAM Questions"

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:54 PM
GDSlone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Dyna Wide Glide "CAM Questions"

Just got the 2012 Dyna Wide Glide with the 103" motor. This Monday i will be having the Thunderheader installed, along with a Performance Machinery Air Intake, Screaming Eagle Tuner, and ran on the Dyno. I'm thinking while i'm in there i may as well do some CAM work. Love that sound, plus extra HP is always a bonus. Would love to hear some suggestions. The folks over at the Harley shop suggest S&S 510G CAM Kit.

FYI, every other part of the bike (short of the mods explained above) will stay stock, springs, head, rods....all staying stock. Is it worth the extra $Grand$?

Thanks guys, and appreciate all the info i've read so far, these forums are really great when we are good to each other.

Ride Safe, Slainte!

Last edited by GDSlone; 03-11-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:31 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

I hear a lot of good things about the cams that Fuelmoto offers

Old 03-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Blindf8th
Stage II

Originally Posted by GDSlone
Just got the 2012 Dyna Wide Glide with the 103" motor. The folks over at the Harley shop suggest S&S 510G CAM Kit. Is it worth the extra $Grand$?
I'm not familiar with that particular cam, other than to quote here what I see on S&S web site about the 510G...

"The 510G is designed as a bolt in cam for 88 to 95 inch engines with compression ratios below 9.7:1."

You've got the 103 engine; wonder why your local Harley shop folks are suggesting this particular CAM? Did they mention any reason why perhaps? Having just recently put SE255's in my 2012 Fat Bob, and understanding 'exactly' what they are doing for me over stock now, I'm curious what specific goals do you have with regard to changing your CAM (low-mid torque, mid-high torque and HP, etc)?

Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 AM
GDSlone
Intermediate

I would say I'm looking for mid to high Tq. I guess we all want improvement over the entire band if possible. Really love the way a cammed motor sounds and want to add HP. That's it. I am now looking into tw-555's. People seem to be happy with them. I don't know the most about his stuff so it makes me nervous to waste money as I'm sure it does all of you. and I feel like the service guys just pointed in the parts book at the most expensive kit. Gear, chains, noise, hp gains....@$#+! Me I don't know.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The Woods 555 or the Andrews 48 is a pretty good alternative, as well ...

Welcome aboard and hope you get what you're lookin' for ...

R/
'Chop

Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 AM
FISM
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the MCR heads and an SE 255 cam when I upgraded the bike from a 96 to a 103 with domed pistons. SE cold air and compression release kit completed the build. I smile every time I crack the throttle. Lots of different configurations out there, but it depends on your budget, as far as what anyone else thinks.....doesn't matter.

It depends on your budget and what type of performance you are looking for. Best of luck! Oh and congrats on the new scoot!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 AM
GDSlone
Intermediate

Thanks for the input fellas. first post, i'll try to make them better and more specific in the future. i'll also post my Dyno once i have it done the end of this week.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
DTDK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the andrews 48 h cams for my bike, they are getting installed next week.
i chose them over the woods cams as the woods cams have a very fast steep ramp generally speaking and one really should upgrade the springs and rockers if you are going to go with woods.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
16VAFXDL
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 65 Likes on 18 Posts

Have to put in my vote for the S&S 583 Easy Start Cams. Just had them installed in my FXDC (96" motor) and I could not be happier. Have not gotten a dyno tune yet, but there is a noticeable difference in the "seat of the pants" feel from roll-on to at least 70 mph. Very nice sound as well. Going to try to get a video of the cams this weekend and will post.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM
MrPappagiorgio
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andrews 50h or the SE211. Basically the same cam. Will work great with stock heads and valve springs. Perfect cam for the 103

Quick Reply: 2012 Dyna Wide Glide "CAM Questions"