Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley, Looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Boonman88
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Harley, Looking for advice.

Hey everyone,

I recently bought my first Harley, a 2006 Street Bob. I have owned a couple Yamaha bikes and I was planning on buying another... Until I got on this Street-Bob, I was sold before the test drive was over. Anyway I am planning on buying a couple aftermarket parts (Kuryakyn Hyper Charger, Vance and Hines Short Shot Pipes both with the denim black finish to match the bike, and potentially some bigger apes... any expierence on the items mentioned would be much appriciated) first and foremost I need a new seat... I currently have the bad lander seat with no sissy bar (my old lady hates the seat and demands a new one, and a sissy bar!) So I need some advice on a comfortable good looking two up seat (for 300mi and below rides) comfort is important… But so are looks. I love the low and aggressive look of the streetbob, I do not want to take away from it with a fat seat. So please send me in the right direction. I have been looking at C&Cs, Corbin’s, etc... Regardless of how they look on the website I do not know how they ride will be for two. Also I would like some suggestions on sissybars, again I would like to keep the stripped and sexy look. Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new bike! You'll love it. Throw some pics up so we can all enjoy the new bike smell. lol. I don't know too much about seats, let alone 2-up seating, since I haven't gotten to the point where I want to change the stock one yet. I can tell you that I recently installed Short Shots and I love them! I didn't purchase the quiet baffles because I enjoy the loud pipes but others may not...personal preference.

Good luck with it!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Massive
Advanced

The Hyper-Charger has taken a total beatdown on these forums, hope they'll be kind to you.....

Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM
roneil
Cruiser

Welcome to the forums. you will find tons of information here.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM
RLE
Tourer

Originally Posted by Massive
The Hyper-Charger has taken a total beatdown on these forums, hope they'll be kind to you.....

No idea where its located but ive read tests where the hypercharger actually restricted air flow more than the stock setup. Most likely due to lack of filter media. Appearance would be the only reason to get one.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Mr.Guns
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boonman88
Hey everyone,

I recently bought my first Harley, a 2006 Street Bob. I have owned a couple Yamaha bikes and I was planning on buying another... Until I got on this Street-Bob, I was sold before the test drive was over. Anyway I am planning on buying a couple aftermarket parts (Kuryakyn Hyper Charger, Vance and Hines Short Shot Pipes both with the denim black finish to match the bike, and potentially some bigger apes... any expierence on the items mentioned would be much appriciated) first and foremost I need a new seat... I currently have the bad lander seat with no sissy bar (my old lady hates the seat and demands a new one, and a sissy bar!) So I need some advice on a comfortable good looking two up seat (for 300mi and below rides) comfort is important… But so are looks. I love the low and aggressive look of the streetbob, I do not want to take away from it with a fat seat. So please send me in the right direction. I have been looking at C&Cs, Corbin’s, etc... Regardless of how they look on the website I do not know how they ride will be for two. Also I would like some suggestions on sissybars, again I would like to keep the stripped and sexy look. Thanks in advance for the help!
Avoid the Hypercharger. It's a lot of hype, gets in the way of your leg, does jack squat for performance especially compared to a Screamin' Eagle kit, or even a K&N filter with stock football cleaner assembly.

As for sissybars, if you want to keep the low, sleek lines, the stock sissybar from 2011+ Wide Glides WILL FIT REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE DEALER TELLS YOU. I just bought one from a member for $65 (they're about $80 new from Dealer) and just give it a little squish and it fits like a glove. It's the lowest-profile sissybar I've seen for the money. Of course, there's always the "Haulen-***" sissybar system ($250+-) which hides under your 2-up seat.

This is what the sissybar looks like (on my 07 Dyna SuperGlide, which has the same width rear fender as your scoot)

Last edited by Mr.Guns; 03-06-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Boonman88
Stage II

Thanks to all! Fair enough, I will do some more research on the hypercharger before investing in one (They do look badass) if they decrease performance there is no need to waste the money... Thanks for the feedback on the pipes; I like the loud baffled sound as well. Still looking for some feedback on a good two-up seat and sissy bar combo. Also any input on some bigger apes.. I'm looking at something around 16" or so (I think….) but have never really ridden with them before.

Will get some pics up when I get some more free time and figure out how to post them!

@Patrick - The sissybar looks really good. My only concern is how low it is.. I feel like it may be too low to add highway riding comfort. What kind of feedback have you gotten from your passenger(s)?

Last edited by Boonman88; 03-06-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Seats are very subjective, BUT, you can't go wrong with a factory
Sundowner dual seat or for more dollars a Mustang Vintage Wide dual seat. They aren't as sleek looking as some, but both are very comfortable for you and and the wife. Some dealers have a bike mounted stably for seat and bar change outs to try before purchasing. May want to check the dealer possibilities...dd50

Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Read this and see if you still want a hypercharger.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 PM
DCWilcox61
Cruiser

Check the classifieds! There is a mustang 2-up seat for sale in the dyna classifieds . . . thought about it myself, but decided to go a different direction.

Quick Reply: First Harley, Looking for advice.