Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it Hard to Install new handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 PM
DynaGuy77
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it Hard to Install new handlebars?

I just got my new set of Wild1 drag bars. My question is how hard are they to install and do I have to cut wires? I am a carpenter by trade not a mechanic so is it easy? lol

Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
florida dyna
Advanced

I didnt install mine cause it was a gift. I'm no mechanic but I would give it a go if I had to. Do a search there is plenty of information on this. Are you doing internal wiring? If you are there are ways to do it without cutting wires.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to cut any wires at all. Its pretty simple if you just take your time and double check everything. A service manual is highly recommended for the install but its pretty straight forward.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 PM
DynaGuy77
Advanced

Yes internal wiring just like factory.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Stag556
Road Master

Originally Posted by DynaGuy77
Yes internal wiring just like factory.
Internal wiring is easy enough as long as you take your time. Best bet is to use either fishing line or dog tag chain, attach one end to the wires and let the other end fall through the bars and pull. Slowly but surely, they come right through.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 PM
DynaGuy77
Advanced

Ok, on the left side the wiring is to the horn and turn signal so I have to unhook that right and then they will slide through factory handles and out the hole? First time here guys please be nice lol

Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
LCHBuilders
Intermediate

I just got my new set of Wild1 drag bars. My question is how hard are they to install and do I have to cut wires? I am a carpenter by trade not a mechanic so is it easy? lol
Same problem here man!!! I'm thinking about new bars also but worried about how tough a job it is. If I can't pound a nail through it I'm lost! LOL

Old 03-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Stag556
Road Master

Ok, on the left side the wiring is to the horn and turn signal so I have to unhook that right and then they will slide through factory handles and out the hole? First time here guys please be nice lol
Double check with a service manual but on my bike, all wiring went from the switch gear housings on the bars, through the bars, into the frame and ended at a connector under the tank in the backbone of the frame.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it 2 weeks ago......really straight forward, depending on the bike u have to slide the tank back to get to the connectors. Br's customs bars website has a series of really good videos, so does YouTube, the longest part was taking the wires out of the connectors, I was surprised how easy it was. I move pretty fast, took me 2 hours. Do it!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Stag556
Road Master

The way I attacked it was disconnect the connectors under the tank, take the bars off and lay them on a work bench. From there, you can take your time disassembling the connectors and feeding your wires internally. Actually, I didn't have to remove the pins from the connectors because the connectors on the 2012 were small enough to fit through the bars. Either way, removing the pins is a easy task once you get the hang of it. Look for a post by FXDRider2003 where he gives a great visual of how to remove those pins. I'll try to find it if you don't first.

Quick Reply: Is it Hard to Install new handlebars?