Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it Hard to Install new handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Had to add six inches to my wires on my bike... so I cut and spliced...

Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

If you look in the stickys there is a thread by Mudpuddle that shows how to disconnect the connectors and how to make a tool out of piano wire. Having a pick set is helpful too. I usually end up with a pin I can't get out and have to disassymble the connector from the backside.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Blue collar dyna
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it. You can do it. IF you don't need longer cables and wires then it should be a cinch. Most importantly, get the service manual. Its worth every penny. Between the service manual and you tube videos you can do it. I put 17" apes on my FXDB this winter, internal wiring and all. It wasn't bad at all. If you do have to get longer wiring i recommend calling the guys a Hill Country Custom Cycle. Tell them your bike year amd model and how high your bars are and they can send you everything you need.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:19 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Its not hard get a service manual and plenty of threads on here along with you tube videos it is pretty straight forward I did mine a couple of months ago first time took me about 3 hours I had to change cables and all, the hardest part the most aggrevating part to me was putting the connecters back into the back bone lol!!! Really tho its simple, You Can Do IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched my handle bars but I did not have to buy longer cables. I do have throttle by wire and had to thread that. Also, the bars I used was the Softail Heritage and i had to cut the notches for the TBW.

It went pretty easy, I am no mechanic nor can I punch a nail into a board either.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm trying to get up the courage to put some apes on my Fat Bob. The electical doesn't scare me. It's mainly the brake lines, fluid, bleeding etc...that I am concerned about.

Subscribed

Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Sethcat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatscott
I'm trying to get up the courage to put some apes on my Fat Bob. The electical doesn't scare me. It's mainly the brake lines, fluid, bleeding etc...that I am concerned about.

Subscribed
Brake lines aren't bad. Take them off and collect the fluid. Wipe off the spillage cause it'll eat paint. Put the new ones on and with the bleeder loose, pour into the reservoir and pump the brake until it comes out solid and tighten it up. You should see bubbles come up as you pump your brake lever. I had an issue because I couldn't get one air bubble out. I needed to end up using a Pump and it was all good.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sethcat
Brake lines aren't bad. Take them off and collect the fluid. Wipe off the spillage cause it'll eat paint. Put the new ones on and with the bleeder loose, pour into the reservoir and pump the brake until it comes out solid and tighten it up. You should see bubbles come up as you pump your brake lever. I had an issue because I couldn't get one air bubble out. I needed to end up using a Pump and it was all good.

Yep, Brake lines is the least of your worries. Bleeding brakes is a piece of cake. When I flushed mine, I was surprised how fast it flowed out.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 PM
57ringo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the forum and can't find the post by FXDRider2003 or the sticky by mudpuddle......where are they at?