Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pcv-lets try this again

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012 | 04:59 PM
jipjoint
|
Advanced
Default Pcv-lets try this again

Ran a pcv with heavy breather and rush slip ons, two yrs ago, ran great at first then after a few washings and rains it started to run bad, popping, stalling just a nightmare, so i pulled it,cruised all last yr no biggie, tax time comes i bought rineharts crossbacks and im going to crank it up again,got a map from fuel moto(service team there is insanely curtious) here is a few questions i have before i get my map and my pipes come in: Is the mini usb port the one on the side, and what are the two ports on the top by the cable,another question,is this an easy process, one last statement, i lost everything that came in the box, i just have the pcv,

Old 03-02-2012 | 07:29 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

Very easy process, go buy new USB cord and download software.

Use a bunch of dielectric grease an fill up the large plug where it connects to bike, I had same issue with moisture. Issue resolved with dielectric grease

Old 03-02-2012 | 11:49 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks. An exhaust leak can throw off the tune of the bike and make you think the PCV is out of tune.

Old 03-03-2012 | 07:31 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by louisianaSVT2001
Very easy process, go buy new USB cord and download software.

Use a bunch of dielectric grease an fill up the large plug where it connects to bike, I had same issue with moisture. Issue resolved with dielectric grease
DO NOT fill the plug, dielectric grease is NON conductive, if you use it at all just around the seal.
If you install the plugs under the ECM instead of where it might be exposed to rain you do not need anything to seal it unless they are using a real crappy plug these days, as I never had this water issue with a PC III in the 2 years I had it on my bike.

Old 03-04-2012 | 08:27 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

Originally Posted by 8541hog
DO NOT fill the plug, dielectric grease is NON conductive, if you use it at all just around the seal.
If you install the plugs under the ECM instead of where it might be exposed to rain you do not need anything to seal it unless they are using a real crappy plug these days, as I never had this water issue with a PC III in the 2 years I had it on my bike.
Poured water out of my plug before dielectric grease, I am not a fair weather rider and wash my bike quite thoroughly every week so my bike has a high exposure to wet conditions.

Non conductive, yeah no **** dude. If it were conductive it would not be recommended for electrical connections.

It's been working for me without issue.

Old 03-04-2012 | 09:42 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Non conductive, yeah no **** dude. If it were conductive it would not be recommended for electrical connections.
HaHa ...nicely said!

Old 03-04-2012 | 09:50 PM
caaraa
Banned

Good thread, I always like them.

Old 03-05-2012 | 06:13 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Poured water out of my plug before dielectric grease, I am not a fair weather rider and wash my bike quite thoroughly every week so my bike has a high exposure to wet conditions.

It's been working for me without issue.

Well billybadass dude, personally I do not believe in using a band-aid to mask a problem, which is what you are doing with your precious dielectric grease. It is a better practice to fix a problem than mask it.

If you are stupid enough to fill a device full of electrical contacts with a non conductive compound have at it. Using it around a seal is one thing, filling the plug is just plain stupid. The very work dielectric means insulator.

As for not being a fair weather rider, how nice for you, but your comment is another good example of not knowing WTF you are talking about.

Old 03-05-2012 | 06:18 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by AK BAGGER
HaHa ...nicely said!
Obviously you have no electrical experience, ever heard of Noalox or penetrox, both conductive materials that are required for certain electrical connections, so join the ranks with your friend that has no clue WTF he is talking either.