Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done / looked into a full chrome FLD engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:25 AM
numismaddict
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Has anyone done / looked into a full chrome FLD engine?

I'm thinking about this but the cost might get prohibitive. Harley has a kit with all the covers, including all gaskets, for $760 (#16318-07A.) But then there's all the nuts & bolts and probably other stuff. And probably also the labor, since I don't have a place nor the talent to do this myself.

Any estimates, thoughts from others of how much the adventure might cost?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM
cecharles
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to do that to mine and if I was to do it myself, I would think the hardest part of the job would be to change out the rocker covers and housings and lifter blocks because the exhaust and gas tank need to come off. The trans side cover would be a little bit of work too but not as bad since everything is off already. I think all the other stuff is pretty easy but the whole job would be at least a weekend.
If you were to have the dealer do the work, I would think it would be at least $2,000 total.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:28 PM
numismaddict
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Beer is on me!

Originally Posted by cecharles
I'd like to do that to mine and if I was to do it myself, I would think the hardest part of the job would be to change out the rocker covers and housings and lifter blocks because the exhaust and gas tank need to come off. The trans side cover would be a little bit of work too but not as bad since everything is off already. I think all the other stuff is pretty easy but the whole job would be at least a weekend.
If you were to have the dealer do the work, I would think it would be at least $2,000 total.
Maybe someday we should get the parts and spend the weekend doing both bikes in your garage. I'd buy the beer!

Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
cecharles
Tourer

Now there's a plan!! I've never messed with the lifters and push rods but might learn pretty soon since I plan on putting new cam chain tensioners on my '01 FXD. So far, all the work I've done on that bike has been done using a service manual. There's an old rule that carpenters go by that says measure twice and cut once. Well that also works when working on Harleys, read the manual twice and work on it once. I try to fully understand what I'll be doing before I tear into it. If this is going to be a winter project it might be worth looking into just having the stock ones chromed. Duh! What am I saying? There's no way I'm going to do this in the summer. Ha!

Old 03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
River_123
Advanced

She'll run hot with all that chrome!

Old 03-01-2012, 02:47 PM
JCryder
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by numismaddict
I'm thinking about this but the cost might get prohibitive. Harley has a kit with all the covers, including all gaskets, for $760 (#16318-07A.) But then there's all the nuts & bolts and probably other stuff. And probably also the labor, since I don't have a place nor the talent to do this myself.

Any estimates, thoughts from others of how much the adventure might cost?
I won't pick up my new FLD for a few weeks yet so I'm not looking at such extensive mods quite yet. I am very curious about the passenger floor boards on your bike though. Can you tell me what they cost in the US? I'm told they're $401.92 CDN here.

JC

Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

my uncle has a road king fireman eddition that is basicly all chrome on the motor... check it
granted not the same bike but we chromed the **** out of this one mainly done though inner primary cover, engine cover, etc...

Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Steel Steed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe my '07 WG has all chrome motor too.
Before V&H slip on's.

Actually, looks like the transmission is black, and I have chrome jugs,etc.

Last edited by Steel Steed; 03-01-2012 at 03:36 PM.